Variation of Lagrange Density under field transformation

In summary, the homework statement says that there is a problem in solving for the variation of a Lagrangian with two coupled fields. The person is trying to find the variation of the Lagrangian under the transformation \delta\phi_{1}=\epsilon\phi_{2},\delta\phi_{2}=-\epsilon\phi_{1} The person is trying to find the variation of the Lagrangian under the transformation
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys!

So I have a Lagrangian with two coupled fields like so:

[itex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{1}) +\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{2})-\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}\phi_{1})-\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}\phi_{2})-g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2})^2 [/itex]

where g is a coupling constant.

So I have to find the variation of this lagrangian under the transformation

[itex]\delta\phi_{1}=\epsilon\phi_{2}, \delta\phi_{2}=-\epsilon\phi_{1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do - do I just plug these into the Lagrangian? and if I do, how do I compute the new [itex]\partial_{\mu}\phi[/itex]?

Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should replace [itex] \phi_i [/itex] with [itex] \phi_i+\delta \phi_i [/itex] in the Lagrangian.

Okay so i plugged them in but I'm still a bit stuck.

For example consider this term:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}(\phi_{1}+\epsilon\phi_{2}))[/itex]

How do I compute this? (yes I am a noob with this stuff) Would it be equal to [itex]\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1}+\epsilon\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})[/itex]?

Also do I omit terms of order [itex]\epsilon^{2}[/itex]?

Thanks...

Dixanadu said:
Would it be equal to 12(∂μϕ1+ϵμϕ2)\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1}+\epsilon\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})?
Yes.
Dixanadu said:
Also do I omit terms of order ϵ2\epsilon^{2}?
Yes.

So i went through it all and here's where I am:

[itex]\begin{split}\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}[(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{1})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{1})] +\frac{1}{2}[(\partial_{\mu}\phi_{2})(\partial^{\mu}\phi_{2})] \\
-\frac{m_{1}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{1}^{2}+2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2}) -\frac{m_{2}^{2}}{2}(\phi_{2}^{2}-2\epsilon\phi_{1}\phi_{2}) -g(\phi_{1}\phi_{2}-\epsilon\phi_{1}^{2}+\epsilon\phi_{2}^{2})
\end{split}[/itex]

Is this looking okay...?

Thanks so much...

Last edited:
I get the following:
[itex]
\mathcal{L}'=\frac{1}{2} \partial_{\mu} \phi_1 \partial^{\mu} \phi_1+\frac{1}{2} \partial_{\mu} \phi_2 \partial^{\mu} \phi_2-\frac{1}{2}m_1^2(\phi_1+2\epsilon \phi_2)\phi_1-\frac{1}{2}m_2^2(\phi_2-2\epsilon \phi_1)\phi_2-g[\phi_1\phi_2-2\epsilon(\phi_1^2-\phi_2^2)]\phi_1\phi_2
[/itex]

Related to Variation of Lagrange Density under field transformation

1. What is the Lagrange density in physics?

The Lagrange density is a mathematical function used in classical field theory to describe the dynamics of a system. It is a quantity that depends on the fields and their derivatives, and can be used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

2. How does the Lagrange density change under a field transformation?

The Lagrange density is invariant under a field transformation, meaning it remains the same regardless of the specific form of the fields. This is a fundamental principle in physics known as the principle of least action.

3. What is the significance of the variation of Lagrange density under field transformation?

The variation of the Lagrange density under field transformation is important because it allows us to understand how the system behaves under changes in the fields. This is crucial in studying the dynamics of physical systems and predicting their behavior.

4. Can the variation of Lagrange density be used to derive the equations of motion for a system?

Yes, the variation of Lagrange density is a key step in the process of deriving the equations of motion for a system. By varying the Lagrange density with respect to the fields, we can obtain the Euler-Lagrange equations, which describe the evolution of the system over time.

5. How is the variation of Lagrange density related to Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. The variation of Lagrange density is intimately connected to this theorem, as it is through the variation of the Lagrange density that we can identify the symmetries of a system and determine the conserved quantities associated with them.