Variational symmetries for the Emden-Fowler equation

giraffe714
Homework Statement
The Emden-Fowler equation of astrophysics is ## y'' + \frac{2}{x}y' + y^5 = 0 ## which arises as the Euler-Lagrange equation to the functional ## J(y) = \int_{x_0)^{x_1} \frac{x^2}{2}(y'^2-\frac{1}{3}y^6) dx ##. Find the infinitesimal generators that lead to a variational symmetry for this functional and establish the conservation law $$ x^2(y'y + 2x(y'^2+y^5)) = const. $$
Relevant Equations
$$ \xi \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \eta \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} + (\eta' - y'\xi')\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} + \xi' f = 0 $$ where $$ \eta' = \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial y} y' $$ and $$ \xi' = \frac{\partial \xi}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial \xi}{\partial y} y' $$, Noether's theorem $$ \eta \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} + \xi (f - \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}y') = const. $$
So firstly I calculated the partial derivatives of f to be:
$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{2x}{2} (y'^2 - \frac{1}{3} y^6) + \frac{x^2}{2} (2y'y'' - 2y^5y') = xy'^2 - \frac{1}{3} y^6 + x^2y'(y'' - y^5) $$
$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = \frac{x^2}{2}*\frac{1}{3}*6y^5 = x^2y^5 $$
$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} = \frac{x^2}{2}*2y' = x^2y' $$

And then I plugged that into the first equation in the "Relevant equations" (not sure what it's called,) with ## \xi_x = \partial \xi / \partial x ## etc. for conciseness:

$$ \xi (xy'^2 - \frac{1}{3}y^6 + x^2y'(y'' - y^5)) - \eta x^2y^5 + (\eta_x + \eta_y y' - \xi_x y' - \xi_y y'^2)x^2 y' + \xi_x (\frac{x^2}{2}(y'^2-\frac{1}{3}y^6) ) + \xi_y (\frac{x^2}{2}(y'^2-\frac{1}{3}y^6)) y' = 0 $$

Which after expanding everything hopefully gives

$$ \xi xy'^2 - \frac{1}{3} \xi y^6 + \xi x^2 y' (y'' - y^5) + \eta x^2 y^5 + \eta_x x^2 y' + \eta_y x^2 y'^2 - \xi_x x^2 y'^2 - \xi_y x^2 y'^3 + \xi_x \frac{x^2}{2} y'^2 - \xi_x \frac{x^2}{6} y^6 + \xi_y \frac{x^2}{2} y'^3 - \eta_y \frac{x^2}{6} y^6 y' = 0 $$

Upon regrouping with ## y'^2, y^6, y', y^5, y'^3, y^6y' ## (and this is probably where my mistake lies, but I don't know how to fix it) gives the equations

$$ \xi x + \eta_y x^2 - \eta_x x^2 + \eta_x \frac{x^2}{2} = 0 $$ (from ## y'^2 ##)
$$ -\frac{1}{3} \xi - \xi_x \frac{x^2}{6} = 0 $$ (from ## y^6 ##)
$$ \xi x^2 (y'' - y^5) + \eta_x x^2 = 0 $$ (from ## y' ##)
$$ \eta x^2 = 0 $$ (from ## y^5 ##)
$$ -\xi_y x^2 + \xi_y \frac{x^2}{2} = 0 $$ (from ## y'^3 ##)
$$ -\xi_y \frac{x^2}{6} = 0 $$ (from ## y^6y' ##)

But, the equation from ## y^5 ## implies that ## \eta = 0 ##, and plugging that into both the equation from ## y'^2 ## and ## y' ## implies ## \xi = 0 ##. This however can't be true since this problem has a conservation law by Noether's theorem in the problem statement. I guess what I'm not fully understanding in this problem is how to group the equations together. Is it just be ## y' ## and their powers? Is it also by ## y ##? What about combination terms like ## y^6y' ##? And if it's the former, what happens to the terms not involving ## y' ##?

Physics news on Phys.org
giraffe714 said:
Homework Statement: The Emden-Fowler equation of astrophysics is ## y'' + \frac{2}{x}y' + y^5 = 0 ## which arises as the Euler-Lagrange equation to the functional ## J(y) = \int_{x_0)^{x_1} \frac{x^2}{2}(y'^2-\frac{1}{3}y^6) dx ##. Find the infinitesimal generators that lead to a variational symmetry for this functional and establish the conservation law $$ x^2(y'y + 2x(y'^2+y^5)) = const. $$
Please verify that your equation for ##J(y)## that fails to render is:$$J\left(y\right)=\intop_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}\frac{x^{2}}{2}(y'^{2}-\frac{1}{3}y^{6})dx$$

renormalize said:
Please verify that your equation for ##J(y)## that fails to render is:$$J\left(y\right)=\intop_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}\frac{x^{2}}{2}(y'^{2}-\frac{1}{3}y^{6})dx$$
Oh, yes, that's correct, my apologies.