Varying inclination on plane: Undetermined multipliers

• Thread starter davidbenari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the problem involves a particle of mass ##m## on a smooth plane that is inclined at a constant rate ##\alpha##. The constraint force can be found using the Lagrange undetermined multipliers method by writing the Lagrangian in terms of polar coordinates and incorporating the constraint through the Lagrange multiplier. This approach avoids the need to switch to a polar coordinate basis and find ##r(t)## in order to indirectly find the constraint forces.
davidbenari

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m## rests on a smooth plane. The plane is raised to an inclination ##\theta## at constant rate ##\alpha##. Find the constraint force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##L=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)-mgy## Lagrangian

##f=\frac{y}{x}-\tan\alpha t = 0 ## constraint equation

##\partial_y f = \frac{1}{x}##

##\partial_x f = \frac{-y}{x^2}##

##\partial_q L - d_t \partial_\dot{q} L + \lambda \partial_q f = 0 ## Method of undetermined multipliers formula.

##\to \boxed{m\ddot{x}+\lambda \frac{y}{x^2} = 0} \quad \boxed{mg+m\ddot{y}=\frac{\lambda}{x}}##

Using tedious manipulation I've gotten to the point where I can say

##\ddot{x}x+\ddot{y}y+gy=0##

And haven't found any other useful formula.

I know I could switch to a polar coordinate basis and find ##r(t)## there and solve ##x## and ##y## and indirectly find constraint forces, but I'm not interested in that. Unless I'm clearly using the Lagrange undetermined multipliers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an idea: Write the Lagrangian in terms of polar coordinates, but keep both ## r ## and ## \phi ## as the generalized coordinates - do not incorporate the constraint into the kinetic or potential energy terms. Rather, incorporate it through the Lagrange multiplier technique.

FAQ: Varying inclination on plane: Undetermined multipliers

What is varying inclination on plane?

Varying inclination on plane refers to the change in the angle of the plane's trajectory in relation to the ground. This can be caused by various factors such as wind, turbulence, or the pilot's control.

How is varying inclination on plane measured?

Varying inclination on plane is typically measured using an instrument called an inclinometer, which is located in the cockpit of the plane. It uses a pendulum or gyroscopic mechanism to detect changes in the plane's angle of inclination.

What are undetermined multipliers in relation to varying inclination on plane?

Undetermined multipliers refer to the values that are used to adjust the plane's trajectory in response to varying inclination. These values are determined by the pilot's control inputs and can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the flight.

What are the potential risks associated with varying inclination on plane?

Varying inclination on plane can potentially lead to loss of control or disorientation for the pilot. It can also cause discomfort or motion sickness for passengers. In extreme cases, it can result in accidents or crashes.

How do pilots handle varying inclination on plane?

Pilots are trained to handle varying inclination on plane by using specific techniques and procedures, such as adjusting the plane's trim, using control inputs, and relying on instruments to maintain the desired trajectory. They also regularly monitor and adjust for changes in inclination during the flight.

Back