Vasodilation occurs when it is hot

• Medical
  • Thread starter biophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary: A lot of the heat generated by glycolysis is used to generate ATP. However, since RBCs don't have mitochondria, they can't use this heat to produce ATP. Instead, the heat is dissipated as waste heat. Thanks for the responses!
biophysics
I understand that vasodilation occurs when it is hot (to evolve heat away) and vasoconstriction when its cold (to retain heat)

1) What is the mechanism through which heat causes vasodilation?

2) How hot is our blood (temperature). Is it hotter than 98.2 F because of glycolysis?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org

Hmm maybe this should be in the homework section.

1 - the body's thermoregulation (homeostasis is the topic you'd start with) system dilates
"local" blood vessels near the skin when the body's core temperture rises due to high ambient temperature, exercise, or sometimes illness. The trigger is the level of intracellular calcium and phosphorylation of mysosin (MLC mysosin light chain molecule).

2. Your core temperature (the warmest blood) varies in a diurnal rhythm and across individuals and physical exertion levels and age. Withe regard to age: Brand new newborn infants do not thermoregulate the way us big people do. You have to keep them warm and dry for several hours, and not let peripeheral blood temps go below guidelines. For example, nurses will defer bathing until the baby's axillary temperature is stable and above 36.4 deg C, and keep the baby's head covered with a cap minimally for the first twelve hours.

Peripheral blood tempatures can vary even more due to environmental factors.

Temperature readings on one person measured at the same time at different places also vary. Temperature (the 98.6 deg F you probably know as "normal", or oral temperature) will be slightly higher when taken rectally or taken from the tympanic membrane - about 0.5 deg F to 1.0 deg F higher. Axillary temp (armpit) will be lower.

So there isn't a one 'temperature'. And I don't think glycolysis per se is a massive contributor, because I've read that consumption of oxygen correlates well with core temperature readings - the basic metabolic rate - and glycolysis is anaerobic.

One digression - there is a hypothesis that one contributor to obesity in developed nations is central AC and heat. Because the body does not spend a lot of extra calories cooling off or staying warm. You decide if you like this idea. I find it interesting.

thanks for your reply, very interesting

I've heard that fermentive cells produce more heat than those cells which use aerobic respiration.

I understand that fermentation produces 2ATP/glucose while aerobic respiration produces about 30ATP/glucose.

Thus more energy is given off as heat in fermentation, but what is the mechanism for how heat is produced here?

How does temperature affect Calcium/MLCK?

Last edited:

Any ideas will be appreciated

My question: I understand how friction produces heat. How does a biological process like cellular respiration produce heat?

It is chemically produced heat - a tiny bit like like oxidizing paper in a flame -
slowly.

Mitochondria at work:

Some of the energy released by electron transport does no useful work at all (that law of thermodynamics is at work again). That is, each exchange of electrons results in a loss of some energy as heat.

Also, dissipation of the chemiosmotic gradient without doing work results in the transformation of more energy to heat. Respiratory control can be 'exploited' to increase heat production by dissipating the gradient at a faster rate, or to slow heat production by making the ETS more efficient. This kind of regulation is effected by the hormone thyroxine - the thyroid hormone.

thanks, that make sense: The redox reactions of metabolism are exothermic and use some of the heat released to establish a proton gradient while the rest is released as heat.
My next question:

How can heat (exothermicity) be used to do useful work?

I know you said that glycolysis isn't a big predictor of heat. However RBCs don't have mitochondria and use fermentation only. This is causes a lot of heat. Any ideas why?

Related to Vasodilation occurs when it is hot

1. How does vasodilation help regulate body temperature in hot environments?

Vasodilation occurs when the blood vessels near the surface of the skin widen, allowing more blood to flow through them. This increased blood flow helps to release heat from the body, helping to regulate body temperature in hot environments.

2. What causes vasodilation to occur in response to heat?

When the body is exposed to high temperatures, the hypothalamus in the brain sends signals to the blood vessels to dilate. This response is triggered by the release of chemicals called vasodilators, which cause the smooth muscles in the blood vessels to relax and widen.

3. Is vasodilation a normal response to heat?

Yes, vasodilation is a natural and normal response to heat. It is the body's way of trying to cool down and maintain a stable internal temperature.

4. Are there any other factors that can cause vasodilation besides heat?

Yes, besides heat, other factors such as exercise, certain medications, and emotional stress can also cause vasodilation. This is because they can all trigger the release of vasodilators in the body.

5. Can vasodilation be harmful in any way?

In most cases, vasodilation is a beneficial response that helps the body regulate temperature. However, in some individuals with certain medical conditions, vasodilation can lead to a drop in blood pressure and may cause dizziness or fainting. It is important to stay hydrated and take breaks in a cool environment if you are at risk for this type of reaction.