Vector Addition: Calculating Bird's Speed in Southerly Direction

In summary, the bird's resultant speed in the southerly direction is 20km/hr when considering the wind blowing eastward at 30km/hr. This can be calculated using vector addition and the Pythagorean theorem. The two vectors involved are the air velocity and the bird's own velocity.
cixelsyD
A bird can manage 50 KmHr-1 in still air. There is a wind blowing eastward at 30kmhr-1, the bird wishes to travel south. The resultant speed the bird carries in the southerly direction is?

For equations i just used vector addition, and pythagorous (A2+B2=C2)

The first time i thought about this problem, i assumed the speed stayed the same, and the bird just got blown of coarse this is in correct though. So i did vector addition, which is obviously wrong as I had to include the southern speed (50kmHr-1).

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector addition is correct. What vectors are involved, though? One is the air velocity. What other vectors?

Cheers -- sylas

Hello..

For some reason I come up with 20km/hr.

Bye.

Related to Vector Addition: Calculating Bird's Speed in Southerly Direction

1. How do you calculate the speed of a bird flying in a southerly direction?

To calculate the speed of a bird flying in a southerly direction, you will need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down the bird's velocity into its components (horizontal and vertical) and adding them together using basic trigonometry.

2. What is the formula for vector addition?

The formula for vector addition is: Resultant Vector = Square root of (x1 + x2)^2 + (y1 + y2)^2, where x1 and y1 are the horizontal and vertical components of the first vector, and x2 and y2 are the components of the second vector.

3. How do you find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector?

To find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector, you will need to use the angle and magnitude of the vector. The horizontal component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the angle, and the vertical component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.

4. Can you calculate the speed of a bird flying in a southerly direction without using vector addition?

No, vector addition is necessary to accurately calculate the speed of a bird flying in a southerly direction. This is because the bird's velocity is made up of both horizontal and vertical components, and without considering both, the speed cannot be accurately determined.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector addition to calculate a bird's speed in a southerly direction?

Yes, vector addition assumes that the bird is flying in a straight line and at a constant speed. In reality, birds may change direction or speed, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated speed using vector addition.