Vector addition - Vector Spaces

In summary: If v is such a vector, what is -v?In summary, the conversation is about determining whether a given vector space, V, is closed under vector addition, where the condition for a vector to be in V is that its components are both positive or both negative. The conversation suggests trying to find a counterexample by picturing the allowable areas in a 2D plane and considering scalar multiplication and additive inverses.
depre87

Homework Statement

Show if V is a vector space ([a,b,c]|ab>=0). I'm trying to test whether it is closed under
vector addition.

Homework Equations

v=[a1,b1,c1] w=[a2,b2,c2], v and w satisfy ab>=0
a1b1>=0, a2b2>=0
show (a1+a2)(b1+b2)>=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Got to a1b1 + a2b2 +a1b2 + a2b1 after expanding the above equation. Know a1b1 and a2b2 both >=0 however what do I do with the a1b2 and a2b1? I've attempted trying to factor them into a1b1 and have gotten a1b1[(b2/b1)+(a2/a1)] and know a1b1 >=0 however not sure what to do with the terms in the bracket to further prove whether or not it is closed under vector addition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi depre87! :smile:

Have you tried searching a counterexample?

I just had a look and I don't understand it enough to apply it to my question, could you enlighten me? thanks for the suggestion though.

Just try some numerical values of v and w and see if you can come up with a counterexample...

one way you could do it is to picture a & b in a 2D plane, the allowable areas are a&b both +ve, or both -ve. Now try and think of a vector addition that will take you outside of teh allowable areas (the a&b axes may be a good start)

Look at scalar multiplication rather than addition. If v is such a vector, what is (-1)v?

Or, similarly, every vector must have an additive inverse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Vector addition - Vector Spaces

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors together to form a new vector. It is accomplished by adding the corresponding components of the vectors together.

2. How is vector addition performed?

Vector addition is performed by adding the corresponding components of the vectors together. For example, if vector A has components (a1, a2, a3) and vector B has components (b1, b2, b3), the resulting vector C would have components (a1 + b1, a2 + b2, a3 + b3).

3. What are vector spaces?

Vector spaces are mathematical structures that consist of a set of vectors and two operations: vector addition and scalar multiplication. These operations follow a set of rules and properties, such as closure, associativity, and commutativity, and allow for the manipulation and combination of vectors.

4. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar multiplication?

Vector addition combines two or more vectors together to form a new vector, while scalar multiplication multiplies a vector by a scalar (a number). Scalar multiplication changes the magnitude of the vector, while vector addition changes the direction and/or magnitude of the vector.

5. How are vector spaces used in science?

Vector spaces are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to model and analyze physical quantities and systems. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to represent and manipulate data. Additionally, vector spaces are used in linear algebra, which is a fundamental tool in many scientific disciplines.