Vector Analysis (Calculus IV) question

In summary, the problem is to prove that the sum of the squares of the sides of any quadrilateral, minus the sum of the squares of the two diagonals, is equal to four times the square of the distance between the midpoints of the diagonals. The approach suggested is to write everything in terms of the four side vectors (AB, BC, CD, DA) and the diagonals (AC and BD).
J3sushooves

Homework Statement

Prove: the sum of the squares of the sides of any quadrilateral, minus the sum of the squares of the two diagonals, equals four times the square of the distance between the midpoints of the diagonals.

Homework Equations

A(dot)B = |A||B|cos(theta)
I honestly don't think any equations will help, this is more of a thinking question rather than a calculation one, although I imagine that one may be helpful.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, calling the sides of the quadrilateral vectors A,B,C, and D
Midpoints of diagonals E and F
The requested proof can be stated as:
|A|^2 + |B|^2 + |C|^2 + |D|^2 - |AB|^2 - |CD|^2 = 4|EF|^2

The problem is, I can't really get any further than that. I know it isn't much, but that is as far as I could get. All of the letters represent vectors btw, sorry I couldn't make prettier equations.

Thanks to any assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
how about trying to write everything in terms of the 4 side vectors?

eg in your notation
AB = A+B

perhaps a clearer notation is to give the corners the notation
A,B,C,D
then the 4 sides become the vectors
AB, BC, CD, DA

and the diagonals are
AC = AB + BC = - CD - DA
BD = BC + CD = - DA - AB

Related to Vector Analysis (Calculus IV) question

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis, also known as vector calculus or multivariable calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and their properties. It involves using calculus techniques to analyze vector fields and vector functions in multiple dimensions.

2. What are some practical applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze physical systems involving forces, motion, and energy. In engineering, it is used in the design and analysis of structures and machines. In computer graphics, it is used to create 3D models and animations.

3. What are the basic operations in vector analysis?

The basic operations in vector analysis include addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. Addition and subtraction are performed by adding or subtracting corresponding components of two vectors. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar, which results in a change in the magnitude of the vector.

4. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in a certain region of space. It can be visualized as a collection of vectors with different magnitudes and directions at every point in the region. Vector fields are used to model physical quantities such as velocity, force, and electric fields.

5. What is the difference between a scalar field and a vector field?

A scalar field is a mathematical function that assigns a scalar value, such as temperature or pressure, to each point in a region of space. In contrast, a vector field assigns a vector to each point in the region. Scalar fields have only magnitude, while vector fields have both magnitude and direction.