Vector calculus evaluation question

In summary, the discussion involved evaluating the gradient of a function and showing that the gradient of a cross product with a constant vector can be simplified using basic properties of the gradient and vector operations. The solution to the first problem involved expanding and simplifying the function, while the second problem required using chain rule and basic vector identities to derive the solution. The conversation also touched on the concept of tensors and their use in solving similar problems.

Homework Statement

Q1. Evaluate grad(f) for the function f([tex]\underline{r}[/tex])=([tex]\underline{a}[/tex] dot [tex]\underline{r}[/tex]) ([tex]\underline{b}[/tex] dot [tex]\underline{r}[/tex])

Q2. If [tex]\underline{c}[/tex] is a constant vector, show that grad |[tex]\underline{c}[/tex] cross [tex]\underline{r}[/tex]| ^n = n |[tex]\underline{c}[/tex] cross [tex]\underline{r}[/tex]| ^(n-2) *[tex]\underline{c}[/tex] cross ([tex]\underline{r}[/tex] cross [tex]\underline{c}[/tex] )

Homework Equations

dot product and cross product identities
formula for grad f

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1, I tried to expand it use product rule but simplified it back to where I started, I don't see how I can simplify the result.
Q2, used chain rule got n |[tex]\underline{c}[/tex] cross [tex]\underline{r}[/tex]| ^(n-2) *([tex]\underline{c}[/tex] cross [tex]\underline{r}[/tex] )
btw I have proven that grad r^n = n * r^ (n-2) * [tex]\underline{r}[/tex], not sure if this is correct.

This is my first post, hopefully it is understandable..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\nabla(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})=
\frac{d}{dx_{i}}a_{j}x_{j}b_{k}x_{k}=
a_{j}b_{k}(\frac{dx_{j}}{dx_{i}}x_{k}+\frac{dx_{k}}{dx_{i}}x_{j})=
a_{j}b_{k}(\delta_{ij}x_{k}+\delta_{ik}x_{j})=
\vec{a}(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})+\vec{b}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})
[/tex]

Last edited:
eshaw said:
[tex]
\nabla(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})=
\frac{d}{dx_{i}}a_{j}x_{j}b_{k}x_{k}=
a_{j}b_{k}(\frac{dx_{j}}{dx_{i}}x_{k}+\frac{dx_{k}}{dx_{i}}x_{j})=
a_{j}b_{k}(\delta_{ij}x_{k}+\delta_{ik}x_{j})=
\vec{a}(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})+\vec{b}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})
[/tex]

but i got [tex][\vec{a}(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})+\vec{b}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})]\nabla\vec{r}[/tex]

btw i havnt done tensors yet, so I've used the basic property of [tex]\nabla[/tex]

The only honest way you can do it without tensor analysis, is by breaking it up into all the pieces. That is, take the dot product of the vectors a and r which is a1x+a2y+a3z and multiply it by the dot product of b and r. Then the gradient of that is (df/dx,df/dy,df/dz) and then if you rearrange the terms and you will get the answer that I got. I'm kind of curious how you got the nabla r term. I'll try to give you some useful relations that I used to solve the second problem. I'm not very adept at using the Latex, so it would take me to long to write out the whole solution.

[tex]
\vec{c} \times \vec{r} = \left| \vec{c} \right| \left| \vec{r} \right| \sin \theta \vec{n}
[/tex]
[tex]
\left| \vec{c} \times \vec{r} \right| = \left| \vec{c} \right| \left| \vec{r}\right| \sin \theta
[/tex]
[tex]
\left| \vec{r} \right| = \sqrt{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r}} = r
[/tex]
[tex]
\vec{r} = r\frac{\vec{r}}{r}=r\vec{n}=\left| \vec{r} \right| \vec{n}
[/tex]

eshaw said:
The only honest way you can do it without tensor analysis, is by breaking it up into all the pieces. That is, take the dot product of the vectors a and r which is a1x+a2y+a3z and multiply it by the dot product of b and r. Then the gradient of that is (df/dx,df/dy,df/dz) and then if you rearrange the terms and you will get the answer that I got. I'm kind of curious how you got the nabla r term. I'll try to give you some useful relations that I used to solve the second problem. I'm not very adept at using the Latex, so it would take me to long to write out the whole solution.

I have used chain rule so my first step is
[tex]\nabla(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})=(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})\nabla(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})+(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})\nabla(\vec{b}\cdot\vec{r})[/tex]

I think this is correct, so if ur result is true it means that [tex]\nabla(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r}=\vec{a}[/tex] ?

eshaw said:
[tex]
\vec{c} \times \vec{r} = \left| \vec{c} \right| \left| \vec{r} \right| \sin \theta \vec{n}
[/tex]
[tex]
\left| \vec{c} \times \vec{r} \right| = \left| \vec{c} \right| \left| \vec{r}\right| \sin \theta
[/tex]
[tex]
\left| \vec{r} \right| = \sqrt{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r}} = r
[/tex]
[tex]
\vec{r} = r\frac{\vec{r}}{r}=r\vec{n}=\left| \vec{r} \right| \vec{n}
[/tex]

Thanks! i think I've got it now

[tex]
\nabla(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{r})=\nabla(a_{1}x+a_{2}y+a_{3}z)=a_{1}\vec{i}+a_{2}\vec{j}+a_{3}\vec{k}=\vec{a}
[/tex]

FAQ: Vector calculus evaluation question

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives, such as gradients, curls, and divergences. It is used to describe and analyze physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the purpose of vector calculus?

The purpose of vector calculus is to provide a mathematical framework for understanding and solving problems related to vector fields. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze complex systems.

3. What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector fields. These operations allow for the manipulation and analysis of vector quantities.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector fields?

A scalar field is a function that assigns a single value to every point in space, while a vector field is a function that assigns a vector value to every point in space. Scalar fields represent quantities such as temperature or pressure, while vector fields represent quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as wind velocity.

5. How is vector calculus applied in real-life situations?

Vector calculus is applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing fluid flow in pipes, and designing electrical circuits. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics, weather forecasting, and robotics.