Vector calculus position vector

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, a position vector is a vector that represents the location of a point in three-dimensional space. It is typically represented using the variable <i>r</i> with components <i>x</i>, <i>y</i>, and <i>z</i>. It is an essential tool in vector calculus as it allows for calculations of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It can also be used to represent curved paths using parametric equations.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks again to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem
: If $\mathbf{a}$, $\mathbf{b}$ and $\mathbf{c}$ are constant vectors, $\mathbf{r}$ is the position vector $\langle x,y,z\rangle$ and $E$ is given by the inequalities $0\leq \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{r} \leq \alpha$, $0\leq \mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{r} \leq \beta$, $0\leq \mathbf{c}\cdot\mathbf{r} \leq \gamma$, show that
\[\iiint\limits_E (\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{r}) (\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{r}) (\mathbf{c}\cdot\mathbf{r}) \,dV = \frac{(\alpha \beta \gamma)^2}{8|\mathbf{a}\cdot(\mathbf{b} \times\mathbf{c})|}\]

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's question. Since the solution was such a pain (sorry about not working it out prior to posting the problem), I've typed up this week's solution as a pdf [since I don't think it would be able to fit nicely in one post].

You can find the solution in my public dropbox folder by https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25818055/MHB_POTW_University_Wk75.pdf.

Related to Vector calculus position vector

1. What is a position vector in vector calculus?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in three-dimensional space. It is a vector that starts from the origin and ends at the point, indicating the direction and magnitude of the displacement from the origin to the point.

2. How is the position vector represented mathematically?

In vector calculus, the position vector is typically represented using the variable r, with its components x, y, and z. It can be written as r = xi + yj + zk, where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

3. What is the significance of the position vector in vector calculus?

The position vector is an essential tool in vector calculus as it allows us to describe the location of a point in three-dimensional space and perform operations such as differentiation and integration. It is also used to define other important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How is the position vector used in vector calculus to calculate displacement?

The displacement from point A to point B can be calculated using the position vectors of the two points, rA and rB. The displacement vector, d, is given by d = rB - rA. This represents the change in position from A to B.

5. Can the position vector be used to represent curved paths?

Yes, the position vector can be used to represent curved paths in three-dimensional space. This is known as a parametric curve, where the position vector is a function of time, r(t). By varying the value of t, we can trace out different points on the curve, allowing us to represent complex paths in space.