Vector Confusion In Applying Coulomb's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Coulomb's law to find the electric field due to charges placed at different points on an unit positive charge. The field intensity is resolved in unit vector i and j directions, with a factor of 2 and i coming from the distances. The conversation also addresses sign errors and clarifies the use of factors 1 and 2 for the charges and displacements, respectively.
PurelyPhysical

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/48cLE6q

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I can follow most of this problem, but I am unsure where the constants in front of the trig functions are coming from. Why is it 2cos(135), 1cos(45), 2cos(-45), etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
PurelyPhysical said:
I can follow most of this problem, but I am unsure where the constants in front of the trig functions are coming from. Why is it 2cos(135), 1cos(45), 2cos(-45), etc?

pl. write down the electric field due to charges placed at those points on an unit positive charge placed at the coordinate under consideration, you will need the the distance square in the denominator and the field has been resolved in unit vector i and j directions...the factor 2 and i are coming due to those distances...
e.g. take the charge at a... it is distant sqrt(2)/2 ; take square then it will be 1/2 in the denominator so a factor of 2 in the numerator-resolve the field intensity in i and j direction along x and y respectively.

similarly check other ones.

drvrm said:
pl. write down the electric field due to charges placed at those points on an unit positive charge placed at the coordinate under consideration, you will need the the distance square in the denominator and the field has been resolved in unit vector i and j directions...the factor 2 and i are coming due to those distances...
e.g. take the charge at a... it is distant sqrt(2)/2 ; take square then it will be 1/2 in the denominator so a factor of 2 in the numerator-resolve the field intensity in i and j direction along x and y respectively.

similarly check other ones.

Why are there two distances 2 and 1? Isn't the center point equally distant from all the other points?

edit: I wrote down the electric field. I see now where the constants in front of the cos are coming from. But is there a sign error for the constants in front of sin?

Last edited:
check the full expression!

drvrm said:
check the full expression!

I see it now. What I didn't realize is that all of the y vectors are positive because the third vector points away from the positive charge. Thank you.

Last edited:
PurelyPhysical said:
Why are there two distances 2 and 1?
There are not two distances. Factors 1 and 2 are the charges. The factors for the displacements are 2 (1/r2), the unit vectors ##\hat i## and ##\hat j## and the trig components, sin and cos..

FAQ: Vector Confusion In Applying Coulomb's Law

1. What is vector confusion in applying Coulomb's Law?

Vector confusion in applying Coulomb's Law refers to the difficulty in correctly determining the direction of the electric force between two charged particles. This is due to the fact that Coulomb's Law uses vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction, to describe the electric force.

2. What causes vector confusion in applying Coulomb's Law?

Vector confusion in applying Coulomb's Law is caused by the fact that electric forces can act in any direction, making it challenging to accurately determine the direction of the force between two charged particles. Additionally, the use of vector notation and calculations can be complex and lead to errors or confusion.

3. How can vector confusion in applying Coulomb's Law be minimized?

One way to minimize vector confusion in applying Coulomb's Law is to carefully define the coordinate system and directions being used in the problem. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the direction of the electric force. Additionally, practicing vector calculations and using proper notation can also help minimize vector confusion.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when applying Coulomb's Law?

Yes, there are several common mistakes made when applying Coulomb's Law. These include incorrectly identifying the signs of the charges, using the wrong units, and not properly taking into account the direction of the electric force. Vector confusion can also lead to mistakes in calculations.

5. How important is it to understand vector notation when applying Coulomb's Law?

Understanding vector notation is crucial when applying Coulomb's Law, as it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the direction and magnitude of the electric force. It also helps to minimize vector confusion and potential errors in calculations.

Back