Vector Displacement calculation

In summary, an airplane takes off and flies 245 km south of west, then changes direction and flies 175 km due south before landing. To find the displacement from its starting point to its landing point, it is recommended to create a sketch of the plane's travels and use trigonometry to solve the problem.
Lief Vercron
Member warned to use the formatting template
An airplane takes off and flies 245 km on a course of 45.0° south of west and then
changes direction and flies 175 km due south, where it lands. Find the displacement
from its starting point to its landing point.

I have literally no idea how to approach this, I worked with physics only sparingly in my homeschooling, and I need help figuring out the approach to this type of equation. I'm a quick learner though!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lief Vercron said:
An airplane takes off and flies 245 km on a course of 45.0° south of west and then
changes direction and flies 175 km due south, where it lands. Find the displacement
from its starting point to its landing point.

I have literally no idea how to approach this, I worked with physics only sparingly in my homeschooling, and I need help figuring out the approach to this type of equation. I'm a quick learner though!
Why don't you make a sketch of the plane's travels? With a picture, that may give you some ideas on how to tackle this problem.

SteamKing said:
Why don't you make a sketch of the plane's travels? With a picture, that may give you some ideas on how to tackle this problem.
Right triangles off of each vector to the x/y lines?

Lief Vercron said:
Right triangles off of each vector to the x/y lines?
If that's what your diagram shows. Trig is usually helpful in solving these types of problems.

Related to Vector Displacement calculation

1. What is vector displacement calculation?

Vector displacement calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the change in position of an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the movement of objects in space.

2. How is vector displacement calculated?

Vector displacement is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector displacement, the hypotenuse represents the magnitude of the displacement and the other two sides represent the x and y components of the displacement.

3. What are the units of vector displacement?

The units of vector displacement are typically in meters (m) or feet (ft), depending on the unit system used. However, in some cases, other units such as centimeters (cm) or inches (in) may be used.

4. How is vector displacement different from scalar displacement?

Scalar displacement only takes into account the magnitude of the displacement, while vector displacement also considers the direction. This means that vector displacement can be represented by a directional arrow, while scalar displacement is represented by a numerical value only.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector displacement calculation?

Vector displacement calculation is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and video game development. It is used to analyze the movement of objects in space, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the movement of a vehicle. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic animations of objects in motion.