What is the Vector Equation of Planes?

In summary, a vector equation of planes is a mathematical representation of a plane in three-dimensional space using vectors. It is different from a scalar equation of planes as it uses vectors to describe the position and orientation of a plane, making it more versatile. The normal vector in a vector equation of planes can be determined by taking the cross product of two non-parallel vectors in the plane. It can be used to find the distance between two planes by finding the shortest distance between a point on one plane and the other, using the normal vector. It is possible for two planes to be parallel, but not equal, in a vector equation of planes, meaning they have the same normal vector but different points and will never intersect.
icystrike

Homework Statement

I'm at (iii) of the question.
attachment.php?attachmentid=23937&stc=1&d=1267121346.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the different ans.
[tex]
\[
Aug=
\left( {\begin{array}{cccc}
2 & -1 & 1 & 5 \\
3 & 1 & -5 & 6 \\
\end{array} } \right)
\]
[/tex]

[tex]
\[
rref=
\left( {\begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 0 & \frac{4}{5} & \frac{11}{5} \\
0 & 1 & \frac{-13}{5} & \frac{-3}{5} \\
\end{array}} \right)
\]
[/tex]

Attachments

• qn.jpg
    qn.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org

Hint: The cross product of the normals is in the direction of the line of intersection. (Why?)

LCKurtz said:
Hint: The cross product of the normals is in the direction of the line of intersection. (Why?)

i'm at part 3 . Thanks by the way. I've got my doubts cleared. (=

FAQ: What is the Vector Equation of Planes?

What is a vector equation of planes?

A vector equation of planes is a mathematical representation of a plane in three-dimensional space using vectors. It allows us to describe the position and orientation of a plane in terms of its normal vector and a point on the plane.

How is a vector equation of planes different from a scalar equation of planes?

A scalar equation of planes is a mathematical representation of a plane using only scalar quantities, such as coefficients and constants. A vector equation of planes, on the other hand, uses vectors to describe the position and orientation of a plane. This makes it more versatile and allows for more complex calculations.

How do you determine the normal vector in a vector equation of planes?

The normal vector in a vector equation of planes can be determined by taking the cross product of two non-parallel vectors that lie in the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the plane and thus, the normal vector.

Can a vector equation of planes be used to find the distance between two planes?

Yes, a vector equation of planes can be used to find the distance between two planes. This can be done by finding the shortest distance between a point on one plane and the other plane, using the normal vector of each plane.

Is it possible for two planes to be parallel, but not equal, in a vector equation of planes?

Yes, it is possible for two planes to be parallel, but not equal, in a vector equation of planes. This means that they have the same normal vector, but different points on the plane. In this case, the planes will never intersect.