Vector geometry: Proof of a trapezium and cross and dot product help

In summary: Yes, that is correct. So the final answer is 108. In summary, to solve this problem, we use the definition of cross product to find the square of a vector. We also use the distributive law to simplify the equation and solve for the final answer of 108.
FilipaE

Homework Statement

#1 Given that the angle between the vectors a and b is 2Pi/3 and |a|=3 and |b|=4 calculate:
(axb)^2 [(2a+b)x(a+2b)]^2

#2 Given three unit vectors, a, b, c such that a+b+c=0 find (a dot b) + (b dot c) + (c dot a)

#3 Given AB=a+2b BC=-4a-b CD= -5a-3b where a and b are any two vectors, prove that ABCD is a trapezium

Homework Equations

Given above

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 I know that axb = |a||b|sinx
and axa = 0 and axb = -b x a but i do not understand how the powers or constants affect this?

#2 No idea

#3 A trapezium has one set of parallel sides only and i know if vectors are parallel they are a multiple of each other, however none of these seem to be multiples of each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
FilipaE said:
#1 I know that axb = |a||b|sinx

This is false. The length of [itex]a\times b[/itex] equals [itex]|a||b|\sin\theta[/itex].

Anyway, what do you mean with [itex](a\times b)^2[/itex]?? What does it mean to take the square of a vector??

I am using x as the cross product, meaning the cross product of a and b is |a||b|sinx, is this not correct?

and (a x b)^2 means the cross product of a and b all sqaured

FilipaE said:
I am using x as the cross product, meaning the cross product of a and b is |a||b|sinx, is this not correct?

No, that is not correct. Review your definition of cross product.

FilipaE said:
and (a x b)^2 means the cross product of a and b all sqaured

Yes, I get that: it means that you take the square of the cross product. But the cross product is a vector. What do you mean with the square of a vector?

This is the definition of cross product online |a x b|=|a||b|sinx
I have no idea what you mean vectors is a very confusing topic for me

FilipaE said:
This is the definition of cross product online |a x b|=|a||b|sinx
I have no idea what you mean vectors is a very confusing topic for me

Yes, the definition [itex]|a\times b|=|a||b|\sin x[/itex] is correct. But writing [itex]a\times b=|a||b|sin x[/itex] is not correct. Do you see the difference?

Oh i see, so how does the formula differ without the modulus sign? and what happens where there is addition involved as in Q1 part 2

Do you understand that [itex]a\times b[/itex] is a vector and that [itex]|a\times b|[/itex] is a scalar??

yes i do now, but given this information how would i write the vector a x b?

Before you do that, you got to understand what [itex](a\times b)^2[/itex] is. What does it mean to square a vector?

Is it the dot product of the two vectors, creating a scalar?

FilipaE said:
Is it the dot product of the two vectors, creating a scalar?

Yes.

So you need to find [itex](a\times b)\cdot (a\times b)[/itex].

Given a vector v, what is the definition of v.v?

|v|^2?

So [itex](a\times b)\cdot (a\times b)=|a\times b|^2[/itex]. Now you should be able to calculate this.

Thankyou! I have got the answer 108?

So for [(2a+b) x(a+2b)]^2 I do [(2a+b)x(a+2b)] dot [(2a+b)x(a+2b)] = |(2a+b)x(a+2b)|^2

I know to do this i need to use the distributive law. Is it

2a x a + 2a x2b + b xa + b x2b?
Where 2a x a = 0 and bx2b=0?

So the answer is 108? Thankyou!
For [(2a+b) x(a+2b)]^2 is this the same as
(2a+b) x(a+2b) dot (2a+b) x(a+2b) = |(2a+b) x(a+2b)|^2 ??

I know i have to use some sort of distributive law here but i am not sure on how to do it would it be 2a x a + 2a x 2b + b x a + b x 2b ? where 2a x a = 0 and b x 2b =0??

Sorry didnt think the first message had sent!

FAQ: Vector geometry: Proof of a trapezium and cross and dot product help

1. What is a trapezium in vector geometry?

A trapezium in vector geometry is a quadrilateral with one pair of parallel sides. In other words, it is a four-sided shape with two sides that are parallel to each other and two sides that are not. This shape is also known as a trapezoid in the United States.

2. How is a trapezium proven in vector geometry?

A trapezium can be proven in vector geometry by using the theorem that states that the sum of the opposite angles of a quadrilateral is equal to 180 degrees. This can be applied to a trapezium by using the fact that the opposite angles of a trapezium are supplementary (add up to 180 degrees) because they are formed by parallel lines.

3. What is the cross product in vector geometry?

The cross product in vector geometry is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as the vector product.

4. How is the cross product used in vector geometry?

The cross product is used in vector geometry to find the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors. It is also used to find the angle between two vectors and to determine whether two vectors are parallel, perpendicular, or neither.

5. What is the dot product in vector geometry?

The dot product in vector geometry is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar (a single number) as the result. It is denoted by the symbol "·" and is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

Back