Vector help(Planes and normals)

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, we found the vector equation of the common perpendicular line and the shortest distance between the lines AB and OC. We also wrote an equation for the plane containing AB and the common perpendicular line in the desired form.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

With O as the origin, the points A,B,C have position vectors
i,i+j,i+j+2k
respectively, Find a vector equation of the common perpendicular of the lines AB and OC.
Show that the shortest distance between the lines AB and OC is [itex]\frac{2}{5}\sqrt{5}[/itex]

Find,in the form ax+by+c=d, an equation for the plane containing AB and the common perpendicular of the lines AB and OC.

Homework Equations

Vector formulae.

The Attempt at a Solution

OA=i
OB=i+j
OC=i+j+2k

AB=AO+OB=j

the direction of the common perpendicular is ABxOC = 2i-k

But to get the vector equation I need a point on the line. How do I find that?

(Also, I was never really taught how to do these sorts of vector problems, only ones at AS math level)

Physics news on Phys.org

To find a point on the common perpendicular line, we can use the fact that the line passes through the midpoint of the shortest distance between the lines AB and OC. We can find this midpoint by taking the average of the position vectors of points A and C:

Midpoint = (A + C)/2 = (i + (i+j+i+j+2k))/2 = (2i+2j+2k)/2 = i+j+k

Therefore, a point on the common perpendicular line is (i+j+k). Now, we can use this point and the direction vector we found (2i-k) to write the vector equation of the common perpendicular line:

r = (i+j+k) + t(2i-k)

To find the shortest distance between the lines AB and OC, we can use the formula d = |(AB x OC)|/|AB|, where d is the shortest distance and |AB| represents the magnitude of vector AB. We already found the direction of the common perpendicular line (2i-k) and the magnitude of vector AB is simply 1, so we can plug these values into the formula:

d = |(2i-k)|/1 = √(2^2+(-1)^2) = √5

Therefore, the shortest distance between the lines AB and OC is √5. To write this in the form ax+by+c=d, we can rearrange the vector equation of the common perpendicular line:

r = (i+j+k) + t(2i-k)
r = i+j+k + 2ti-tk
r = (1+2t)i + (1-t)j + (1-t)k

This equation represents a plane that contains both the line AB and the common perpendicular line. To find the equation in the desired form, we can set the coefficients of i, j, and k equal to a, b, and c respectively, and then subtract (1+2t), (1-t), and (1-t) from both sides:

ax + by + cz = d
x - (1+2t) = 0
y - (1-t) = 0
z - (1-t) = 0

Therefore, the equation of the plane containing AB and the common perpendicular is:

x + y + z = 1+2t

I hope this helps! Let me know if

Related to Vector help(Planes and normals)

What is a vector in relation to planes and normals?

A vector is a mathematical entity that represents both magnitude and direction. In the context of planes and normals, a vector is used to indicate the direction perpendicular to a given plane, known as the normal vector.

How is a normal vector calculated for a plane?

To calculate the normal vector for a plane, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors in the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and will therefore be the normal vector for the plane.

What is the significance of the normal vector in relation to planes?

The normal vector is important in determining the orientation of a plane and its perpendicularity to other planes. It is also used in various calculations involving planes, such as finding the distance from a point to a plane.

How can I use vector operations to manipulate planes and normals?

Vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication can be used to manipulate planes and normals. For example, adding two vectors can result in a new normal vector that is a combination of the original two vectors.

Are there any real-world applications for understanding planes and normals?

Yes, understanding planes and normals is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, in engineering, normal vectors are used to determine the direction of force on a surface, and in computer graphics, they are used to create 3D models and animations.