Vector-Parametric Equation of a Plane

• Thread starter BeanbagxD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the problem is to find a vector-parametric equation of a plane that contains the point (4,-2,14) and is parallel to the vectors u=2i-4j+7k and v=3i+5j-2K. The solution involves finding the cross product of the two given vectors, which gives a vector that is normal to both of them and can be used to find the equation of the plane.
BeanbagxD

Homework Statement

Find a vector-parametric equation of a plane that contains the point (4,-2,14) and is parallel to the vectors u=2i-4j+7k and v=3i+5j-2K.

Homework Equations

Vector Parametric Equation of a Plane: r=a+λu+μv
(if u and v are two non-parallel vectors in the plane)

The Attempt at a Solution

If u and v are parallel to the vector, then wouldn't one of the vectors need to be altered in order for the equation to work? If so, I found the cross product of u and v

u x v= -27i+25j+22k

But would that work? I am unsure whether it is necessary to change u and v in the first place, because I don't know if the vectors can't be parallel to each other, the unfound vector, or the plane itself. Does anyone know how this can be found?

Physics news on Phys.org
BeanbagxD said:

Homework Statement

Find a vector-parametric equation of a plane that contains the point (4,-2,14) and is parallel to the vectors u=2i-4j+7k and v=3i+5j-2K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If u and v are parallel to the vector, then wouldn't one of the vectors need to be altered in order for the equation to work?
Why would you think this? And what equation are you talking about? You're trying to find the equation of the plane in terms of vectors and a couple of parameters.
BeanbagxD said:
If so, I found the cross product of u and v

u x v= -27i+25j+22k

But would that work? I am unsure whether it is necessary to change u and v in the first place, because I don't know if the vectors can't be parallel to each other, the unfound vector, or the plane itself. Does anyone know how this can be found?
The given vectors are parallel to the plane, but obviously not parallel to each other. That can't happen in R2, where two vectors parallel to a line have to be parallel to each other, but it can happen in R3.

The cross product of your two given vectors gives a vector that is normal to each of them, and hence, to the plane. If you know a point on a plane and its normal, you can find the equation of the plane, either as standard form (ax + by + cz = d) or in terms of the given point and the two vectors.

BeanbagxD said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Doesn't your problem exactly fit the relevant equation you have listed?

Related to Vector-Parametric Equation of a Plane

What is a vector-parametric equation of a plane?

A vector-parametric equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a plane using a vector and two parameters. It is written as r = r0 + t1v1 + t2v2, where r is a point on the plane, r0 is a fixed point on the plane, v1 and v2 are two non-parallel vectors in the plane, and t1 and t2 are the parameters that vary.

What is the difference between a vector-parametric equation and a Cartesian equation of a plane?

The main difference between a vector-parametric equation and a Cartesian equation of a plane is the way in which they represent a plane. A vector-parametric equation uses a vector and two parameters to define a plane, while a Cartesian equation uses the x, y, and z coordinates of points on the plane. Additionally, a vector-parametric equation allows for more flexibility in describing the plane, while a Cartesian equation is more rigid and specific.

How do you convert a vector-parametric equation of a plane to a Cartesian equation?

To convert a vector-parametric equation of a plane to a Cartesian equation, you can use the following steps:

1. Find the cross product of v1 and v2 to get a normal vector, n.
  2. Substitute r = (x, y, z) into the vector-parametric equation, so that r = r0 + t1v1 + t2v2 becomes (x, y, z) = (x0, y0, z0) + t1v1 + t2v2.
  3. Use the dot product to solve for t1 and t2. This will give you t1 = (x - x0) / v1 * n and t2 = (x - x0) / v2 * n.
  4. Substitute these values for t1 and t2 back into the vector-parametric equation, and you will have a Cartesian equation in the form ax + by + cz = d.

What is the purpose of using a vector-parametric equation to represent a plane?

A vector-parametric equation allows for a more general and flexible representation of a plane. It can easily be adjusted to fit different situations, and it can also be used to describe planes that are not necessarily parallel to the x, y, or z axes. Additionally, it is often easier to manipulate and solve problems with a vector-parametric equation than with a Cartesian equation.

Can a vector-parametric equation be used to represent a plane in any dimension?

Yes, a vector-parametric equation can be used to represent a plane in any dimension, as long as there are enough parameters to describe the plane. For example, in three-dimensional space, a vector-parametric equation requires two parameters, while in four-dimensional space, it would require three parameters.

Back