Vector Physics Help: Find Resultant Force & Equivalent Force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resultant force and equivalent force from three given forces. The participants also discuss using trigonometry and inverse tangent to solve the problem. One participant also gives a tip on using a calculator for easier calculations.
pirateyoshi
Three forces acting upon axis, need to find resultant force and the (equivalent?) force as well.

2. Frx=84 Grams -> Fry=116 grams up.

3. I had already found the Resulant X and Y from the three orginal forces (200g @ 20 degrees, 100g at 100 degrees and 100g at 210 degrees) but i am having diffuculty with trying to figure out the direction of the resultant force (I believe the magnittude is ~143g) Its my first assignment in physics and I am already lost :[

Physics news on Phys.org
use trigonometry.
tan t = y/x

edit: you didn't round Fry correctly, it's like .88
so it should be 117?

P.S. A nicer way to solve vectors, if they are given like that:
in calculator (that also shows input on the screen-CASIO fx991)
200*cos20+100*cos100+...
store the result in memory,
and then just change 'cos' to 'sin'

and now divide this by stored number, and inverse trig would give the theta

Last edited:
o_O I really should blame my geometry teacher but... maybe I should have picked it up myself. Now, y/x gives me ~1.38. Now is there an equation or a function on a calculator that inverses the decimal into a degree? (Sorry if that's what you already mentioned.)

Possibly something about an inverse tangent?

Last edited:
no i didn't mention it.

it should be above "tan"

rootX said:
P.S. A nicer way to solve vectors, if they are given like that:
in calculator (that also shows input on the screen-CASIO fx991)
200*cos20+100*cos100+...
store the result in memory,
and then just change 'cos' to 'sin'

I get what you are saying there, thanks for the tip. 117/84 = ~1.39. Now I understand that to be the tangent. I know that all angles have a number to match (such as Sin at 30 degrees is .5) but what I don't know is how to get to .5 to Sin 30 for example.

when 0.5 is there on the screen
press "shift"
and then sin button

...I am almost too embarrased to say that I was using the Windows calculator. Thanks a lot for the help. I am just in 10th grade so all these classes I am getting together are getting me flustered. Ill go borrow my friends and continue.

o_O for windows, go to view>scientific

and then select "Inv" option (it's below "Hex" - on the left side of the calculator)
and then click "sin"

Ok I strictly remember doing that and it gave me a smaller decmial. This result (54.2 degrees) is far more logical. Thanks rootX. Used Sin of 54 degrees to confirm that hyp = ~144g and now I know that its at 54 degrees.Adding 180 degrees to hat gives me the Fe of 144g at 234 degrees. ^^ Thanks for the help!

Related to Vector Physics Help: Find Resultant Force & Equivalent Force

What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, where the length represents the magnitude and the direction represents the direction of the vector.

How do you find the resultant force of multiple vectors?

To find the resultant force of multiple vectors, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. These laws involve drawing the vectors as sides of a parallelogram or triangle, respectively, and then finding the diagonal or the last side of the shape, which represents the resultant force.

What is an equivalent force?

An equivalent force is a single force that has the same effect on an object as multiple forces acting on the same object. It is often used to simplify calculations and analysis of complex systems with multiple forces.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Some examples of scalar quantities include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vector quantities include displacement, velocity, and force.

How do you resolve a vector into its components?

To resolve a vector into its components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The magnitude of the vector can be multiplied by the cosine of the angle to find the horizontal component, and by the sine of the angle to find the vertical component.