Vector potential and and Intensity of Radiation

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the vector potential in the dipole approximation and the integral of the intensity of radiation for a charge oscillating on a straight line between -a to +a with a frequency ω. The formula for calculating the dipole moment and vector potential were provided, along with a suggestion to consider the direction of the dipole moment when calculating the intensity of radiation. Additionally, it was suggested to ensure the correct units and formula were used in the calculations.
sid0123

Homework Statement

Let a charge oscillate on a straight line between -a to +a with a frequency ω and according to the law:
κ (x.t) = κ° sin(πx/a) e^(-iωt)
I have to find the following:
1. Vector potential in the dipole approximation
2. Integral of the intensity of radiation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I tried to calculate the dipole using:
d = ∫ κ (x.t) x dx

After that I calculated vector potential using:
A = 1/(cR) × d(d)/dt
But, I worry that my formula is not correct and I may have used the incorrect formula.

Then I used the formula for calculating the intensity of radiation:

I = (2(second time derivative of dipole)^2) / ( 3c^2)

Please guide me! I have picked up this subject after a long time and things have just jumbled up inside my head.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. Here are a few comments and suggestions that may help guide you in the right direction:

1. The formula you used for calculating the dipole moment is correct, but make sure you are integrating over the entire oscillation range (-a to +a) and not just a single point.
2. The formula for the vector potential in the dipole approximation is slightly different from what you have used. It is given by A = (1/c^2R) x (d^2/dt^2) d, where d is the dipole moment. Make sure you are using the correct formula.
3. When calculating the intensity of radiation, make sure you are using the correct formula for the time derivative of the dipole moment. It should be d^2/dt^2, not d/dt.
4. Additionally, you may need to consider the direction of the dipole moment when calculating the intensity of radiation. This can be done by taking the dot product of the dipole moment with the unit vector in the direction of propagation.
5. Finally, make sure you are using the correct units in your calculations and that all the variables are consistent with each other.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Vector potential and and Intensity of Radiation

1. What is the vector potential in relation to radiation?

The vector potential is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the potential energy associated with the electric and magnetic fields of a radiation field. It is a vector quantity that represents the strength and direction of the electromagnetic field at any point in space.

2. How is the vector potential related to the intensity of radiation?

The vector potential and the intensity of radiation are closely related. The intensity of radiation is directly proportional to the square of the magnitude of the vector potential. This means that as the vector potential increases, the intensity of radiation also increases.

3. What is the difference between vector potential and electric/magnetic fields?

The vector potential is a mathematical construct that is used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a radiation field. It is related to the electric and magnetic fields, but it is a separate quantity that represents the potential energy of the fields, rather than the fields themselves.

4. How is the vector potential calculated?

The vector potential can be calculated using Maxwell's equations, specifically the equation for the curl of the magnetic field. It can also be calculated using the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the distance from the source of radiation.

5. What are the units of vector potential and intensity of radiation?

The units of vector potential are typically expressed as volts per meter (V/m). The units of intensity of radiation are typically expressed as watts per square meter (W/m²). However, these units can vary depending on the specific context and system of units being used.