Vector Potential of Long Solenoid

In summary: Thus, we can use this to find the vector potential for a long solenoid both inside and outside the solenoid. In summary, the conversation involves a freshman struggling with understanding vector potentials in an intro Electricity and Magnetism course. They are seeking guidance on how to approach a problem involving Ampere's Circuital Law and Stokes Theorem, and how to apply it to a long solenoid. The conversation also touches on the concept of the vector potential and its relationship to magnetic flux.
malindenmoyer
Let me preface by saying that I am a freshman in an introductory level Electricity and Magnetism course. My professor has assigned this problem, as he briefly introduced the idea of vector potentials, along with curl and divergence operators. I am VERY much lacking in knowledge of any of these concepts and would appreciate guidance. I understand that this site is not supposed to "do the work" for you, but in this case, an explanation would prove very useful.

Problem Statement and Relevant Equations

Recall Ampere's Circuital Law
[tex]\oint{B\bullet \partial l}=\mu_0 I_{enc}=\mu_0 \int{J\bullet dA}[/tex]

But Stokes Theorem states:

[tex]\oint{B\bullet \partial l}=\int_{surface}{(\nabla \times B)\bullet dA}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\nabla \times B=\mu_0 J[/tex]

We can apply similar reasoning to:

[tex]\oint{A\bullet \partial l}=\int{(\nabla \times B)\bullet dA}=\int_{surface}{B\bullet dA}=\phi_{enc}[/tex]

Apply this to a long solenoid.

[tex]\oint{A\bullet \partial l}=\phi_{enc}[/tex] is similar to [tex]\oint{B\bullet\partial l}=\mu_0 I_{enc}[/tex]

Pursue this analogy by drawin the appropriate Amperian loop (radius r) to show:

[tex]A=\frac{\mu_0 NI}{2}r\hat{\phi}[/tex] inside the solenoid, and:

[tex]A=\frac{\mu_0 NI}{2}\cdot\frac{R^2}{r}\hat{\phi}[/tex] outisde the solenoid.

Note that A follows the current direction. Also note that the 1/r dependence gives B=0 outside the coil. Explain and sketch the lines of A in both cases.

Questions Regarding Problem
  1. Is the A in the problem referring to the vector potential?
  2. What is all of this saying?

As I stated previously, I am very new to this and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
malindenmoyer said:
Questions Regarding Problem
  1. Is the A in the problem referring to the vector potential?
Yes.
malindenmoyer said:
  1. What is all of this saying?
The upshot is there's an Ampere's law for the vector potential. If you calculate the line integral of the vector potential A around a closed path, it will equal the magnetic flux through the loop.

Related to Vector Potential of Long Solenoid

What is the definition of vector potential of a long solenoid?

The vector potential of a long solenoid is a mathematical quantity that describes the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying solenoid. It is a vector quantity that is related to the magnetic flux density and is used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space.

How is the vector potential of a long solenoid calculated?

The vector potential of a long solenoid can be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current distribution that produces it. It can also be calculated using the Ampere's Law, which relates the current flowing through a closed loop to the magnetic field it creates.

What are the units of vector potential of a long solenoid?

The units of vector potential of a long solenoid are typically given in units of ampere-turns per meter (A/m). This unit is derived from the units of current (ampere) and the distance (meter) used in the calculation of the vector potential.

What is the direction of the vector potential of a long solenoid?

The direction of the vector potential of a long solenoid is always perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. This means that the vector potential is always tangential to the circles formed by the magnetic field lines around the solenoid.

What are the practical applications of vector potential of a long solenoid?

The vector potential of a long solenoid is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which rely on the magnetic field created by a solenoid to produce images of internal body structures.

Back