Vector Potential of Magnetic Field: Why Set Divergence to 0?

In summary, the vector potential of a magnetic field can be defined by setting its divergence to zero, as this does not affect the magnetic field itself. This is similar to the concept of gauge freedom in electrodynamics, where adding a constant to the scalar potential does not alter the electric field. The divergence-free condition on the vector potential is a gauge fixing constraint, chosen to resemble the secondary first class constraint of the electromagnetic field.
somy
vector potential of magnetic field

Hi everyone.
I have a question about the vector potential of magnetic field, A:
we just set the divergance(A)=0 inorder to define the potential. I just wanted to know why we are allowed to do this.
Thanks a lot.
Somy :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a mathematical fact that ANY vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] can be written as:
[tex]\vec{v}=\nabla\Phi+\nabla\times\vec{A},\nabla\cdot\vec{A}=0[/tex]
Here, [tex]\Phi[/tex] is the associated scalar potential, whereas [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is the associated vector potential.

A hand-wavy argument for the allowance of the divergence-free condition on [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is the following:
An arbitrary [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] has 3 free components, whereas an arbitrary scalar potential [tex]\Phi[/tex] plus an arbitrary vector [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] has 4 free components.
Hence, we should be able to express [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\Phi,\vec{A}[/tex] by adding an additional constraint on [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]
(In addition to the 3 component equations, of course)

Last edited:
somy said:
Hi everyone.
I have a question about the vector potential of magnetic field, A:
we just set the divergance(A)=0 inorder to define the potential. I just wanted to know why we are allowed to do this.
Thanks a lot.
Somy :smile:

As in electrodynamics the fields are the important quantities and the potentials are only introduced to make life easier, you can do anything with A if it does not affect the fields. This is more or less the same situation as with the scalar potential V which can be altered with a constant because that does not change the electric field; this is called a 'gauge freedom'.

Why does adding a constant to V not alter the value of the electric field? Because the electric field is the gradient of the V and the gradient of a constant is zero. So if you call this constant v then:

[tex]\vec{E}=-\nabla (V+v)=-\nabla V[/tex] because [tex]\nabla v=0[/tex] with v a constant.

In the case of the magnetic field the relation between the vector potential and the magnetic field is given by:

[tex]\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex]

And you can look this up if you can't recall it but the curl of a gradient is zero. This is a mathematical fact just like the divergence of a constant is zero. So adding a gradient to A does not effect the magnetic field. Let's call this gradient [itex]\nabla a[/itex] and the original vector potential (without the extra gradient added) [itex]\vec{A}_0[/itex] then:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{A} = \nabla \cdot \vec{A}_0 + \nabla^2 a[/tex]

And we can choose the value of the gradient such that the divergence of A vanishes without changing the magnetic field (i.e. by choosing [itex]\nabla^2 a= -\nabla \cdot \vec{A}_0[/itex])

The magnetic field has no sources, so its diverges is zero everywhere. If it had a divergence within any closed reason it would have a "magnetic charge" somewhere in there.

selfAdjoint said:
The magnetic field has no sources, so its diverges is zero everywhere. If it had a divergence within any closed reason it would have a "magnetic charge" somewhere in there.

The question is about the magnetic vector potential, not the magnetic field...

Thank you da willem,
The answer was clear and useful.
Somy

arildno said:
It is a mathematical fact that ANY vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] can be written as:
[tex]\vec{v}=\nabla\Phi+\nabla\times\vec{A},\nabla\cdot\vec{A}=0[/tex]
Here, [tex]\Phi[/tex] is the associated scalar potential, whereas [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is the associated vector potential.

A hand-wavy argument for the allowance of the divergence-free condition on [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] is the following:
An arbitrary [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] has 3 free components, whereas an arbitrary scalar potential [tex]\Phi[/tex] plus an arbitrary vector [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] has 4 free components.
Hence, we should be able to express [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\Phi,\vec{A}[/tex] by adding an additional constraint on [tex]\vec{A}[/tex]
(In addition to the 3 component equations, of course)

I think this is a more convincing proof and it is quite general,since it uses the Helmholtz theorem which is valid vor any vector field defined on [tex] R^3 [/tex].
And i think selfAdjoint's remark is a correct one,since it's Gauss's law for magnetistatics that u exploit in setting [tex]\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex]
And the condition you invoked is A GAUGE FIXING CONDITION which is actually a supplimentary first class constraint imposed at Hamiltonian level,in order to make the Legendre transformation invertible...Why does it have that form??Simply,because it is chosen to resemble the secondary first class constraint of the em field which is of course:[tex] -\nabla\vec\Pi=0 [/tex].

dextercioby said:
And i think selfAdjoint's remark is a correct one,since it's Gauss's law for magnetistatics that u exploit in setting [tex]\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex]

I think it is obvious SelfAdjoint misunderstood the question, as he talks about the divergence of the magnetic field and not the divergence of the magnetic vector potential. His remark is correct, but not very appropriate in this thread...

I think the relevance and the purpose of such a forum is to give people as much as possible correct answers and to do that in a comprehendable way.It's maybe so that some of us,if not all,missinterpret the original questions and end up discussing other issues.
And i strongly believe that's not a sin.I therefore leave it to the (presumably) interested reader to see whether my post "is appropriate" in that thread.

Ok, maybe you're right. I as well don't think it is a sin to deviate from the original question, overall this is a good thing. But I just pointed out that the sender was referring to something else so the original post-er would not be confused... :smile:

Related to Vector Potential of Magnetic Field: Why Set Divergence to 0?

1. What is the vector potential of magnetic field?

The vector potential of magnetic field is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field in terms of a vector quantity. It is defined as the curl of a vector field, and can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space.

2. Why do we set the divergence of the vector potential to 0?

Setting the divergence of the vector potential to 0 is a mathematical convention that simplifies the equations used to describe the behavior of magnetic fields. It ensures that the vector potential is fully determined by the magnetic field, and allows for easier calculations and interpretations of the field.

3. How is the vector potential related to the magnetic field?

The vector potential is a mathematical construct that is used to represent the magnetic field. It is related to the magnetic field through the curl operator, which takes the vector potential as its input and outputs the magnetic field. This relationship is known as Ampere's law.

4. Can the vector potential of magnetic field be measured directly?

No, the vector potential of magnetic field cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical construct that is used to describe the behavior of magnetic fields, but it does not have a physical manifestation that can be measured. However, the magnetic field itself can be measured using various instruments.

5. What are the practical applications of the vector potential of magnetic field?

The vector potential of magnetic field has many practical applications in electromagnetism, including in the design and analysis of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the study of plasma physics and in the development of technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Back