Vector problem, determining angle

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance and direction from lake B to the base camp, given the distance and direction from the base camp to lake A. The law of cosines was used to find the distance, which was determined to be 310 km. However, the angle for the direction is not correct, and the law of sines was attempted but did not yield the correct answer. It is recommended to use the law of cosines again to find angle (1), then angle (2) and finally angle (3), which represents the direction "south of west".
mickellowery

Homework Statement

A plane travels from base camp to lake A, 280 km away in the direction 200 north of east. After that it flies to lake B which is 190 km at 30.00 west of north from lake A Graphically determine the distance and direction from lake B to the base camp.

Homework Equations

I used law of cosines to find the distance. R=[tex]\sqrt{}(2802+(190)2-2x280x190xcos(80)[/tex] I got 310km for the distance and this part is correct but its the angle that I'm not getting right.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the law of sines for this and its not turning out right. I tried 190/320xsin80 = .585 Then I did arctan .585 and got 30.3 which is wrong. It is supposed to be 57.20 South of West

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a figure for this problem so you can see what you have to do:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9506/24287615.jpg

I would suggest you use the law of cosine again to obtain angle (1) .. then obtain angle (2) .. from angle (2) you can easily obtain angle (3) which is the angle describing "the south of west" angle ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Vector problem, determining angle

What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the direction and magnitude of a vector, which is represented by an arrow in a coordinate system.

How do you determine the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can also be calculated using the dot product or cross product of the vector with another vector.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include time, temperature, and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

What are some real-life applications of vector problems?

Vector problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, determining the angle and velocity of a projectile, the force and direction of a moving object, or the heading and speed of a ship or aircraft.

What are some strategies for solving vector problems?

Some strategies for solving vector problems include breaking the vector into its components, using trigonometric functions, and using vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem, draw a diagram, and use the appropriate formulas and equations.