Vector Problem Homework: Finding Components and Resultant of Three Forces

• Thread starter Amuro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves determining the components and resultant of three forces applied to a particle at O in different directions, with F1 being right on the x-axis and F2 and F3 being at 30 degrees from +y and -y respectively. The components for F1, F2, and F3 were calculated using sine and cosine, and the resultant, R, was found to have a magnitude of 0 and an irrelevant angle.
Amuro

Homework Statement

There are three forces, each of magnitude 5.00 N applied to a particle at O in the directions shown in Fig. 1. List the components of the individual forces F1, F2, and F3. Obtain the x and y components of the resultant of the three forces, R = F1 + F2 + F3 and the magnitude of R and its direction by giving the angle to one of the axes.

F1 vector is right on the x-axis and its direction is east.
F2 vector is 30 degrees from +y. It is between north and west.
F3 vector is 30 degrees from -y. It is between south and west.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the F3 vector, I did sine 30 = x/5 and I got 2.5. Then I used cosine and I got 4.33 for the other side. I did the same process for the F2 vector.

So my components were:
F3 (-2.5, -4.33)
F2 (-2.5, 4.33)
F1 (5, 0)

I add the component up to get R and I get 0 for the components and for the vector of R. Did I do something wrong? Or is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Help anyone?

Welcome to PF!

Hi Amuro! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Amuro said:
I add the component up to get R and I get 0 for the components and for the vector of R. Did I do something wrong? Or is this correct?

No, that looks correct … the magnitude is 0, and the angle is irrelevant. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Amuro! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No, that looks correct … the magnitude is 0, and the angle is irrelevant. :wink:

Thank you.

Your approach to finding the components of F1, F2, and F3 is correct. However, when adding the components to find the resultant, you must also consider the direction. In this case, since all three forces are acting in different directions, the components will not simply cancel out to give a resultant of 0.

To find the x and y components of the resultant, you can use the formula R_x = F1_x + F2_x + F3_x and R_y = F1_y + F2_y + F3_y. Plugging in the values from your calculations, we get R_x = 0 and R_y = 0, which means the resultant vector has no x or y component. This makes sense because the forces are acting in different directions and cancel each other out.

To find the magnitude and direction of the resultant, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The magnitude of the resultant, R, is given by R = √(R_x^2 + R_y^2). Plugging in the values, we get R = √(0^2 + 0^2) = 0. This means that the magnitude of the resultant is also 0, which again makes sense since the forces are cancelling each other out.

To find the direction of the resultant, you can use the inverse tangent function, tan^-1(R_y/R_x). In this case, since both R_x and R_y are 0, the direction of the resultant cannot be determined.

In summary, your approach to finding the components of the forces is correct, but when adding them to find the resultant, you must also consider the direction. In this case, the resultant vector has no x or y component and a magnitude and direction of 0.

FAQ: Vector Problem Homework: Finding Components and Resultant of Three Forces

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first ensure that the vectors are of the same dimension. Then, you can simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors to get the resulting vector. For example, to add two 2D vectors (a,b) and (c,d), the resulting vector would be (a+c, b+d).

3. Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied in two ways: scalar multiplication and vector multiplication. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a number), which results in a vector with the same direction but a different magnitude. Vector multiplication, also known as the dot product, results in a scalar quantity and is used to find the angle between two vectors.

4. How are vectors used in real life?

Vectors have various applications in real life, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent forces, velocity, acceleration, and many other physical quantities. In engineering, vectors are used to represent forces and displacements in structures. In computer graphics, they are used to represent 3D objects and their movements.

5. How can I solve vector problems?

To solve vector problems, you must first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to manipulate the given vectors and find the desired vector. It is important to pay attention to the direction and magnitude of the vectors and use the correct mathematical operations to get the correct solution.

Back