Vector Proofs: Constant Magnitude and Orthogonality in Finite Dimensional Spaces

In summary, we can prove that if a vector $\mathbf{v}(t)$ has a constant magnitude, then its derivative $\dot{\mathbf{v}}(t)$ is orthogonal to $\mathbf{v}(t)$. This can be shown by taking the inner product of $\mathbf{v}(t)$ and its derivative and using the fact that $\mathbf{v}(t)$ has a constant magnitude. To prove the converse, we simply reverse the operations.
Dustinsfl
Prove that if $\mathbf{v}(t)$ is any vector that depends on time but which has a constant magnitude, then $\dot{\mathbf{v}}(t)$ is orthogonal to $\mathbf{v}(t)$.
Prove the converse.

We are working with finite dimensional vector spaces.
Let $\mathbf{v}(t) = \sum\limits_{i = 1}^{n}c_iv(t)_i$.
Then
$$
\lVert\mathbf{v}(t)\rVert = \sqrt{\sum\limits_{i = 1}^{n}c_i^2} = \alpha\in\mathbb{C}.
$$
How do I defined $\dot{\mathbf{v}}(t)$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello dwsmith. (Handshake) You don't need to work out the inner product, there is a simpler way.

Since $\mathbf{v}(t)$ has constant magnitude this means $|\mathbf{v}(t)| = c$, for some $c \in \mathbb{R}^+$. Therefore $|\mathbf{v}(t)|^2 = c^2$, but $|\mathbf{v}(t)|^2 = \mathbf{v}(t) \cdot \mathbf{v}(t) = c^2$.

Deriving both sides yields

$$\mathbf{v}' (t) \cdot \mathbf{v}(t) + \mathbf{v}(t) \cdot \mathbf{v}' (t) = 0,$$

but the left side is simply $2 \mathbf{v}'(t) \cdot \mathbf{v}(t)$. We conclude that $\mathbf{v}' (t) \cdot \mathbf{v} (t) = 0$ and $\mathbf{v}'(t)$ is orthogonal to $\mathbf{v}(t)$.

In order to work the converse you simply reverse operations. Hope this has helped! (Yes)

Fantini

Related to Vector Proofs: Constant Magnitude and Orthogonality in Finite Dimensional Spaces

1. What is a vector proof?

A vector proof is a mathematical method used to prove the validity of a statement or theorem involving vectors. It involves using vector operations and properties to show that the statement is true.

2. Why are vector proofs important?

Vector proofs are important because they allow us to verify the accuracy of mathematical statements involving vectors. They also help us understand the underlying principles and properties of vectors.

3. How do you construct a vector proof?

To construct a vector proof, you must first clearly state the statement or theorem you are trying to prove. Then, you must use vector operations and properties to manipulate the given information and arrive at the desired conclusion.

4. What are some common vector properties used in proofs?

Some common vector properties used in proofs include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties of vector addition and multiplication, as well as the properties of scalar multiplication and the zero vector.

5. Can vector proofs be used in real-world applications?

Yes, vector proofs have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in physics, vector proofs are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in space. In computer graphics, vector proofs are used to create and manipulate 3D images and animations.