How Do You Return to the Oak Tree After Finding the Treasure?

In summary, you found a treasure by following a treasure map to an old oak tree, then returning the same way you came. The answer in the book is 911 m at 8.9 degrees west of south.
eeriana

Homework Statement

While following a treasure map, you start at an old oak tree. You first walk 825 m directly south, then turn and walk 1.25 km at 30degrees west of north, then 1.00 km 40.0 degrees north of east where you find a treasure. To return to the oak tree, in what direction would you walk and how far?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I did everything right, but can't seem to get the answer that they have in the back of the book. Any help would be appreciated.

R=A+B+C.
A = 270 degrees B= 120 degrees C = 50 degrees

Ax = Acos[tex]\Theta[/tex]= (825m)(cos 270) = 0
Ay = Asin [tex]\Theta[/tex]= (825)(sin270) =-825m
Bx= (1250m)(cos 120) = -625m
By= (1250) (sin 120) = 1082.53m
Cx=(1000)(cos50) = 642.78m
Cy=(1000)(cos 50) = 766m

Rx= 17.78m Ry = 1023.53 R= [tex]\sqrt{}(17.78^2)+(1023.53^2)[/tex] = 1023.68m

arctan (1023.53/17.78) = 89 degrees

The answer I come up with is 1023.7 m at 1 degree west of south.

The answer in the book is 911 m at 8.9 degrees w of s.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your third angle should be 40 not 50... is use cos40 not cos50 etc...

learningphysics said:
Your third angle should be 40 not 50... is use cos40 not cos50 etc...

Forgive me, but could you explain why. Perhaps I am not understanding the angle calculation, but I thought it was counterclockwise from the + x-axis towards the + y-axis and I thought that with it being 40 degrees north of east, it would be 90-40. I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I am trying to understand where I am going wrong so that I can understand what to do the next time...

Thank you :)

Amy

eeriana said:
Forgive me, but could you explain why. Perhaps I am not understanding the angle calculation, but I thought it was counterclockwise from the + x-axis towards the + y-axis and I thought that with it being 40 degrees north of east, it would be 90-40. I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I am trying to understand where I am going wrong so that I can understand what to do the next time...

Thank you :)

Amy

If you go counterclockwise from the +x axis towards the y-axis... that's the same as going north of east... The angle east of north is 50... the angle north of east is 40.

going north from east... is the same as going counterclockwise towards the y-axis... because you are going up from the positive x-axis...

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
If you go counterclockwise from the +x axis towards the y-axis... that's the same as going north of east... The angle east of north is 50... the angle north of east is 40.

going north from east... is the same as going counterclockwise towards the y-axis... because you are going up from the positive x-axis...

I think I see what you're saying.

Thank you for your help...

Amy

Related to How Do You Return to the Oak Tree After Finding the Treasure?

1. What is the vector treasure map problem?

The vector treasure map problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest path from a starting point to a treasure location on a map, using vector calculations. It is commonly used in computer science and game development to create efficient navigation systems.

2. How does the vector treasure map problem work?

The problem works by breaking down the map into a grid of coordinates and assigning vectors to each coordinate, representing the direction and distance to the next coordinate. These vectors are then used to calculate the shortest path to the treasure location based on the starting point and the given constraints.

3. What are the main challenges of solving the vector treasure map problem?

The main challenges of solving the vector treasure map problem include determining the most efficient way to represent the map and its coordinates, choosing the appropriate algorithms to calculate the shortest path, and considering any constraints or obstacles that may affect the path.

4. How is the vector treasure map problem used in real-life applications?

The vector treasure map problem has many practical applications, including in navigation systems for vehicles, robots, and drones, as well as in video games for creating realistic movement of characters and objects. It is also used in logistics and supply chain management to optimize delivery routes.

5. Are there different approaches to solving the vector treasure map problem?

Yes, there are various approaches to solving the vector treasure map problem, including using different algorithms such as Dijkstra's algorithm, A* search algorithm, or genetic algorithms. The approach used may depend on the specific constraints and requirements of the problem at hand.