Vectors Cartesian equations and normals

In summary, vectors in Cartesian coordinates are quantities with both magnitude and direction, represented by an ordered pair or triplet of numbers. To add or subtract vectors, their corresponding components are added or subtracted separately. The equation of a line in Cartesian coordinates can be written as y = mx + b or ax + by + c = 0, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. The normal vector is a perpendicular vector denoted by a lowercase n with an arrow over it. In two dimensions, the normal vector is (-1/m, 1) for a line with slope m, and in three dimensions, it is (-a, -b, 1). The angle between two vectors can be found using the dot
53Mark53
I am having trouble finding the Cartesian equation of the line k which passes through Y(0,1,0) and is normal to -3x-2y+2z=0

this is what I tried to do but not sure if it is the correct method

normal direction (-3,-2,2)

-3x-2y+2z=d

sub in (0,1,0) to -3x-2y+2z=d

d=-2

-3x-2y+2z=-2

is this correct if so how would i get it into cartesian form?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Define "cartesian form".

Simon Bridge said:
Define "cartesian form".
3x=2y=1-z for example

so f(x)=g(y)=h(z) means f-g-h=0 ...

53Mark53 said:
I am having trouble finding the Cartesian equation of the line k which passes through Y(0,1,0) and is normal to -3x-2y+2z=0

this is what I tried to do but not sure if it is the correct method

normal direction (-3,-2,2)

-3x-2y+2z=d

sub in (0,1,0) to -3x-2y+2z=d

d=-2

-3x-2y+2z=-2

is this correct if so how would i get it into cartesian form?
If line L is parallel to the vector v = <A, B, C> and contains the point ##P(x_0, y_0, z_0)##, its equation in Cartesian form is
$$\frac{x - x_0}{A} = \frac{y - y_0}{B} = \frac{z - z_0}{C}$$

In cases where one or more of the coordinates of v happens to be zero, it's permitted to write a denominator of 0 in the associated fraction.

Simon Bridge said:
Define "cartesian form".
This is a well-known term for writing equations for a line. Another possibility is parametric form; i.e., x = f(t) + x0, y = g(t) + y0, z = h(t) + z0.

Yeah - the idea is to get OP to talk about what it means and so work out a method.

Mark44 said:
If line L is parallel to the vector v = <A, B, C> and contains the point ##P(x_0, y_0, z_0)##, its equation in Cartesian form is
$$\frac{x - x_0}{A} = \frac{y - y_0}{B} = \frac{z - z_0}{C}$$

In cases where one or more of the coordinates of v happens to be zero, it's permitted to write a denominator of 0 in the associated fraction.

does this mean the answer would be -x/3=-(y-1)/2=z/2

53Mark53 said:
does this mean the answer would be -x/3=-(y-1)/2=z/2
Do these equations satisfy the problem statement? IOW, is the direction of this line perpendicular to the given plane, and is the given point on this line?

BTW, homework questions should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not here in the technical math sections.

Mark44 said:
Do these equations satisfy the problem statement? IOW, is the direction of this line perpendicular to the given plane, and is the given point on this line?

BTW, homework questions should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not here in the technical math sections.
I am trying to find the line that is normal to the equation why do I need know if it perpendicular to the plane?

would I use the dot product to see if it is perpendicular?

53Mark53 said:
I am trying to find the line that is normal to the equation why do I need know if it perpendicular to the plane?
A line isn't "normal to an equation." It can be normal to a plane, which is exactly the same as saying the line is perpendicular to the plane.
53Mark53 said:
would I use the dot product to see if it is perpendicular?
Sure you could do that, but it's not necessary. You chose the vector <-3, -2, 2> by inspection, I think, from the plane's equation -3x - 2y + 2z = 0. The line you found has the same direction as the plane's normal, right?

Since you're uncertain about things, maybe verifying that the normal is perpendicular to the plane is a good idea. To do this, take the dot product of any vector that lies in the plane with the normal vector. You can find a vector in the plane by using the plane's equation to find two points, and forming a vector between these two points. Then take the dot product of that vector and the normal <-3, -2, 2>.

BTW, the equation of the plane could also be written as 3x + 2y - 2z = 0, with the normal being <3, 2, -2>. The two equations are equivalent, meaning that they both describe exactly the same set of points, but the vector <3, 2, -2> points in the opposite direction as the normal you found. Although these two vectors are different, both are perpendicular to the plane in this problem.

Related to Vectors Cartesian equations and normals

What are vectors in Cartesian coordinates?

Vectors in Cartesian coordinates are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by an ordered pair of numbers (x,y) in two dimensions, or an ordered triplet (x,y,z) in three dimensions.

How are vectors added and subtracted in Cartesian coordinates?

To add or subtract vectors in Cartesian coordinates, we simply add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add two vectors (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), we add their x-components and y-components separately: (x1 + x2, y1 + y2).

What is the equation of a line in Cartesian coordinates?

The equation of a line in Cartesian coordinates is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This equation can also be written as ax + by + c = 0, where a and b are the coefficients of the x and y terms, respectively, and c is a constant.

What is the normal vector in Cartesian coordinates?

The normal vector in Cartesian coordinates is a vector that is perpendicular to a given vector or line. It is often denoted by a lowercase n with an arrow over it (n→). In two dimensions, the normal vector of a line with slope m is given by (-1/m, 1), while in three dimensions, it is given by (-a, -b, 1), where a and b are the coefficients of the x and y terms in the equation of the line.

How do you find the angle between two vectors in Cartesian coordinates?

The angle between two vectors in Cartesian coordinates can be found using the dot product formula: θ = cos-1((a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3)/(√(a12 + a22 + a32⧦√(b12 + b22 + b32)).