Vectors - Driving a car between time zones

In summary: I was wondering if maybe the car was driving on a gentle curve or something...But then you'd think the problem would be stated in terms of time, not distance. But if the problem is stated correctly, then we have to assume it's a long straight road, and the car has to travel 5000m to the eastern edge of the Eastern Time Zone...In summary, the man is driving a car 5km west of the border of the Eastern Time Zone and wants to know how long it will take him to reach the eastern edge of the Eastern Time Zone. He is driving at 30m/s along a road that is 30 degrees north of east. To solve this problem, we can use trigon
Coco12
Vectors -- Driving a car between time zones...

Homework Statement

A man is driving a car is 5000m due west from the line marking the eastern time zone. He travels at 30m/s along a straight road that runs 30 degrees north of east. How much time does it take the man to get to the eastern time zone

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew it out on a cartesian plane and tried the cos 30 degrees= 5000/hypotenue
I know you have to find out the hypotenuse then use the 30m/s to get the time but somehow I'm not getting the right answer..

Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

A man is driving a car is 5000m due west from the line marking the eastern time zone. He travels at 30m/s along a straight road that runs 30 degrees north of east. How much time does it take the man to get to the eastern time zone

Homework Equations

I know you have to find out the hypotenuse then use the 30m/s to get the time but somehow I'm not getting the right answer..

(I'm adding some more words to your 1-word thread title. Please make your titles very descriptive of the problem you are asking about in your threads. Thanks)

Could you please look at your problem statement? I think there are some typos in it. It says the man is driving *from* the Eastern Time Zone, and then asks how long it takes to get *to* the Eastern Time Zone. Does it mean instead that the Eastern Time Zone is 5000m wide, and the man is driving from the eastern end to the western end? But the Eastern Time Zone is way wider than 5km...

Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

That's very good. :approve:

[itex] \cos \theta = \frac{\mathrm{adjacent}}{\mathrm{hypotenuse}} [/itex]

You're off to the right start. :smile:

You are correct. The first thing you probably want to do is find the hypotenuse.

From there you can use of of your kinematics equations to find the time, Δt, that it takes to travel a known distance at a constant velocity. :wink:

But I can't help you more than that without seeing more work. If you show your work perhaps we can help point out any errors.

[Edit: berkeman, I interpreted the problem as the car is in the Central Time zone (UTC - 6:00), 5 km west of the Eastern Time zone's (UTC - 5:00) border.]

collinsmark said:
[Edit: berkeman, I interpreted the problem as the car is in the Central Time zone (UTC - 6:00), 5 km west of the Eastern Time zone's (UTC - 5:00) border.]

Oh! That would start to make sense. Thanks :smile:

When dealing with vectors, it is important to consider both magnitude and direction. In this scenario, the man is traveling at a speed of 30m/s, but the direction of his travel is 30 degrees north of east. This means that he is not traveling directly east, but rather at an angle.

To find the time it takes the man to get to the eastern time zone, we need to use the formula for distance, which is d = rt, where d is distance, r is rate (or speed), and t is time. However, since the man is not traveling directly east, we need to use the component of his speed that is in the eastward direction. This can be found using trigonometry.

Using the given information, we can find the eastward component of his speed using the cosine function: cos 30 = adjacent/hypotenuse. The adjacent side is the eastward component of his speed, which we can call x. The hypotenuse is the total speed of 30m/s. Therefore, we have:

cos 30 = x/30
x = 30(cos 30)
x = 30(0.866)
x = 25.98 m/s

Now we can plug this value into our distance formula: d = rt, where d is the distance to the eastern time zone (5000m), r is the eastward component of his speed (25.98m/s), and t is the time we are trying to find.

5000 = 25.98t
t = 5000/25.98
t = 192.41 seconds

Therefore, it will take the man approximately 192.41 seconds to reach the eastern time zone.

Related to Vectors - Driving a car between time zones

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of driving a car between time zones, a vector represents the displacement or change in position of the car.

2. How do vectors relate to driving a car between time zones?

In this scenario, vectors are used to represent the distance and direction traveled by the car as it crosses time zones. This allows us to calculate the displacement of the car and the total distance traveled.

3. How do time zones affect driving?

Time zones are based on the division of the Earth into 24 longitudinal sections, each 15 degrees wide. As a result, when driving between time zones, you are also crossing longitude lines and therefore changing your position on the Earth's surface.

4. How is the change in time zones calculated?

The change in time zones is calculated by determining the difference in longitude between the starting point and the destination. For every 15 degrees of longitude, there is a change of one hour in time.

5. Can vectors also be used to calculate the change in time zones?

Yes, vectors can be used to calculate the change in time zones. By representing the displacement of the car as a vector, we can use trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of the change in position, which corresponds to the change in time zones.