Vectors: Find magnitude and direction of the changes in velocity

In summary, the homework statement is that given the initial (u) and final (v) velocities below, find the magnitude and direction of the changes in velocity.
srsGreem

Homework Statement

Given the initial (u) and final (v) velocities below, find the magnitude and direction of the changes in velocity:

Homework Equations

(a) through (f) - I only have trouble with (e) and (f)

(e): u = 10ms east, v = 15ms N40°W
(f): u = 250ms N20°W, v = 200ms south

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14178839/img026.pdf

As you can see, I'm trying to use trigonometry to solve the problems. I think I'm doing something wrong because the textbook answers are not matching up with the answers I have been getting.

Probably what I'd like is someone to walk me through at least one of the questions, maybe link me to relevant tutorials, and then see if I can figure out the other one.

I've been trying to figure this out on my own for about 5 hours now, and finally decided to just post up my problem on these forums. Thanks for any and all assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
srsGreem said:
(e): u = 10ms east, v = 15ms N40°W
(f): u = 250ms N20°W, v = 200ms south
What are the x & y components of these velocities? (+x = east; +y = north)

Doc Al said:
What are the x & y components of these velocities? (+x = east; +y = north)

Hey, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say there... but yes, that is the orientation I am working with, as shown in the pdf file.

Well, what are the components then?

I don't know why that's relevant for this question... can you explain please.

srsGreem said:
I don't know why that's relevant for this question... can you explain please.
One easy way to express a vector is in terms of its components. Then to find the difference between two vectors, you can just subtract the components.

If you do not want to use "components", as Doc Al is suggesting (and using components is simpler), you can use the "sine law" and "cosine law" on the triangles formed.

In the first exercise you have a vector, u, that goes due east with "length" 10 and another vector, v, that goes 40 degrees W of N with "length" 15. If you draw those two sides of a triangle, the difference, v- u, is the third side of the triangle (directed from the tip of v to the tip of u). The length of that third side is given by the cosine law: [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab \cos(C)[/itex] where a and b are the two given lengths and C is the angle opposite side c. Here, the angle between the two given angle is 90+ 40= 130 degrees so [itex]c^2= 10^2+ 15^2- 2(10)(15)cos(130)[/itex]. You can then use the sine law to find the other two angles in the triangle and so deduce the direction of that vector.

Hey, so I've been using the sine rule to find the lengths, and I don't know enough about components to work with that method (yet). So my first question relates to (e):

my magnitude is correct, but according to the physics book, direction is wrong, can you tell me why?

and this question relates to (f):

everything was wrong, aparently the magnitude is around about 90(I don't have the book open), but in my answer, I got around 450.

Can you explain how I went a little wrong in (e) and why I went so massively wrong in (f)?

srsGreem said:
Hey, so I've been using the sine rule to find the lengths, and I don't know enough about components to work with that method (yet). So my first question relates to (e):

my magnitude is correct, but according to the physics book, direction is wrong, can you tell me why?
I'd say you are correct and the book is wrong.

and this question relates to (f):

everything was wrong, aparently the magnitude is around about 90(I don't have the book open), but in my answer, I got around 450.
Same deal here. Your answer is correct.

Can you explain how I went a little wrong in (e) and why I went so massively wrong in (f)?
Your work looks fine. What book are you using? (I haven't checked, but I wonder if the book calculated the sum of the two vectors instead of the difference.)

Related to Vectors: Find magnitude and direction of the changes in velocity

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In terms of vectors, this means that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

3. How do you find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined by finding the angle it makes with a reference axis, usually the positive x-axis. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine.

4. What are some real-life applications of vectors?

Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and displacements in physics problems. In engineering, vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of forces acting on structures. In navigation, vectors are used to represent the direction and speed of objects in motion, such as airplanes or ships.

5. How are vectors used in computer graphics?

Vectors are essential in computer graphics, as they are used to represent the position, size, and orientation of objects on a screen. They are also used to create and manipulate 3D images and animations. Vectors are also used in video games to determine the movement of objects and characters, as well as to calculate collisions and other physical interactions.

Back