Vectors in R^4 orthogonal to two vectors

Replacing c by b- 4d in the first equation, -3b+ d+ 2b+ b- 4d+ 3d= 0 so -b= 0, b= 0.Replacing b by 0 in a= -3b- d and c= b- 4d, a= 0 and c= -4d. The vectors orthogonal to u1= (1, 2, 1, 3) and u2= (2, 5, 1, 4) are of the form (0, 0, -4d, d)= d(-4, 0, -4, 1), for arbitrary d.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

Find all vectors in $\mathbb R^4$ that are orthogonal to the two vectors
$u_1=(1,2,1,3)$ and $u_2=(2,5,1,4)$.

Homework Equations

Gauss-elimination. Maybe cross-product or Gram Schmidt.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Denote a vector $u_3=(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4)$ My desire is to determine $u_3$ so that $\left \langle u_1,u_3 \right \rangle=\left \langle u_2,u_3 \right \rangle=0$

$\left \langle u_1,u_3 \right \rangle=(1,2,1,3)*(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4)=v_1+2v_2+v_3+3v_4=0$

$\left \langle u_2,u_3 \right \rangle=(2,5,1,4)*(v_1,v_2,v_3,v_4)=2v_1+5v_2+v_3+4v_4=0$

Thus I end up(after Gauss-elimination):

$\begin{pmatrix}
1 &0 &3 &7 \\
0 &1 &-1 &-2
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
v_1\\
v_2\\
v_3\\
v_4
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
0\\
\end{pmatrix}$
which has free variables $v_3,v_4$ but unable to solve.

b) I know that the cross product of two vectors $a$ and $b$ results in a vector orthogonal to $a$ and $b$ that cannot be applied in $\mathbb R^4$. I was also recommended to use Gram-Schmidt but I don't know that yet. Is it more suitable for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
zeralda21 said:
Thus I end up(after Gauss-elimination):

$\begin{pmatrix}
1 &0 &3 &7 \\
0 &1 &-1 &-2
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
v_1\\
v_2\\
v_3\\
v_4
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
0\\
\end{pmatrix}$
which has free variables $v_3,v_4$ but unable to solve.
You expect there to be two free variables at the end. Just leave those as parameters and write the general vector in terms of them.

I wouldn't bother with matrices at all. Taking such a vector to be of the form (a, b, c, d) we have
(a, b, c, d).(1, 2, 1, 3)= a+ 2b+ c+ 3d= 0 and
(a, b, c, c).(2, 5, 1, 4)= 2a+ 5b+ c+ 4d= 0.

Subtract the first equation from the second: a+ 3b+d= 0 so a= -3b- d.
Replacing a by -3b+ d in the first equation, -3b+ d+ 2b+ c+ 3d= -b+ c+ 4d so c= b- 4d

Related to Vectors in R^4 orthogonal to two vectors

1. What is a vector in R^4?

A vector in R^4 is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction in a four-dimensional space. It can be represented by an ordered set of four numbers, also known as coordinates.

2. How do you determine if a vector in R^4 is orthogonal to two other vectors?

To determine if a vector in R^4 is orthogonal to two other vectors, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of the vector and each of the two other vectors is equal to zero, then the vector is orthogonal to both of them.

3. Can a vector in R^4 be orthogonal to only one vector?

No, a vector in R^4 cannot be orthogonal to only one vector. In a four-dimensional space, a vector is either orthogonal to no vectors, two vectors, or infinitely many vectors.

4. What is the purpose of finding vectors in R^4 orthogonal to two other vectors?

Finding vectors in R^4 orthogonal to two other vectors is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in linear algebra, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the direction of a vector that is perpendicular to a given plane or set of vectors.

5. How do you find the vector in R^4 orthogonal to two given vectors?

To find the vector in R^4 orthogonal to two given vectors, you can use the cross product. The cross product of two vectors will result in a vector that is orthogonal to both of them. However, it is important to note that this only applies in three-dimensional space, so you would need to use other methods to find the orthogonal vector in higher dimensions.