Vectors in Volleyball (finding distance ball will go)

In summary, the sand volleyball player attempted a jump serve. If he hit the ball at the top of his jump and hit it an angle of 2 degrees below the horizontal, he can hit the ball with a minimum velocity of 28m/s and it will still go over the net.
cd79443

Homework Statement

A sand volleyball player attempts a jump serve. The player is 9.0 meters away from the net, which is 2.43 meters high. If the volleyball player hits the ball at the top of his jump (where the ball is 3.25 meters above the ground) and hits it an angle of 2 degrees below the horizontal, determine the following:
1) What is the minimum velocity he can hit the ball with and still have it go over the net?
2)If the opposite end of the court is 9 meters behind the net (18 meters from where the server is) will the volleyball land inbounds?

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem
## x = x_0 + V_y t - 0.5g t^2##
## x = x_0 + v_0x t + 0.5g t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

part 1) I think I was able to work out part 1 eventually, I came up with 28m/s but I'm not positive I solved it correctly. It's mostly part 2 that's giving me trouble!

part 2) I've drawn pictures of the triangles which is difficult to illustrate on here. But using the triangles from part one I know that the found vector (hypoteneuse on my triangle) is 28 m/s at 2 degrees below the positive horizontal. From that I found that the x component is 27.9829 m/s and the y component is 0.977 m/s. So all that is found from part 1 (which I'm still not positive about) but I'm not sure how to apply it to part two. I'm not even sure of what variable I'm trying to find! I know that the x component of the vector should be the same as in part 1 (27.9829 m/s) but the y component should be different, which will mean the angle will be different as well. But I'm just not sure where to go from here. Some help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
cd79443 said:
part 1) I came up with 28m/s
That's what I get.
I'm not sure how to apply it to part two.
There are several ways. E.g. using the velocity calculated, find out when it would hit the ground, then see how far it would have traveled horizontally in that time.
Or, having gone to the trouble of finding a formula for the velocity in the first part you could just change the height and distance inputs (from 3.25-2.43 and 9 to 3.25 and 18, respectively) to find out the velocity that it would make it land on the baseline. Compare that with the velocity required to clear the net.

Great, I think I got it now. Thank you so much!

Related to Vectors in Volleyball (finding distance ball will go)

1. What is a vector in the context of volleyball?

A vector in volleyball is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used to describe the distance and direction a ball will travel after it has been hit or served.

2. How do you calculate the distance a ball will go using vectors?

The distance a ball will go can be calculated by using the formula D = V * t, where D is the distance, V is the velocity of the ball, and t is the time it takes for the ball to travel that distance. Vectors are used to determine the velocity and direction of the ball.

3. What factors can affect the distance a ball will go in volleyball?

The distance a ball will go in volleyball can be affected by various factors such as the force and angle of the initial hit, air resistance, and the height and weight of the ball.

4. How do you use vectors to predict the path of a ball in volleyball?

To predict the path of a ball in volleyball, you can use the principles of vector addition and subtraction. By breaking down the initial velocity of the ball into its horizontal and vertical components, you can determine the trajectory of the ball and where it will land.

5. Can vectors be used to improve performance in volleyball?

Yes, understanding and using vectors can greatly improve performance in volleyball. By calculating the optimal velocity and direction of the ball, players can adjust their hits and serves to achieve the desired outcome and increase their chances of scoring points.