Velma and Mort's ice cream is melting special relativity problem. Help please.

In summary, Mort and Velma have identical 10-minute melting ice-cream cones. For Velma's cone to last 3 times longer than Mort's cone, as measured by Mort, Velma must move at a speed of approximately 0.94 times the speed of light. This can be calculated using the formula T = T0 / √(1-v2/c2) where T is Mort's view of Velma's time, T0 is Mort's time, and v is the relative speed between them.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

Velma and Mort have identical 10-minute melting ice-cream cones. How fast must Velma move in order for her 10-minute cone to last 3 times longer than Mort’s, as measured by Mort?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
We have not gotten too in depth into mathematics in my class as it mainly focuses on conceptual understanding and estimates. I looked at a table in my textbook and it says that at 0.9 c there is a time dilation of 2.3 and then it jumps to say that at 0.99 c the time dilation is 7.1 so if Mort observes Velma's ice-cream melt slower by a factor of 3...then shouldn't she be moving slightly faster than 0.9 c and slower than 0.99 c? Would that be a reasonable answer? or is there another way to determine the time dilation? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from looking in a graph of the gamma factor or using the actual formula to derive it (it is not very complicated), interpolating in tables is what you are left with.

The math is simple algebra. Look up Lorentz Transform. I don't know Latex or I'd put it here for you. It looks so elegant when written properly and ugly when written with just text symbols. It works out to about .94c

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I think I would like to give this an algebraic try rather than sticking to my textual description...so...is this the right formula?

T = T0 / √(1-v2/c2)

If that is the correct formula... is c = speed of light, v= relative speed between two observers (by relative would it just be the difference in speed between Mort and Velma? so, 3?), T= Mort's view of Velma's time? T0 = 1 ?

Yep, that's the one. Just plug in "Pc" for v (Percentage of c) and cancel the "c"s and solve for P with T/T0 = 3

Related to Velma and Mort's ice cream is melting special relativity problem. Help please.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, which describes the relationship between time and space. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

What is the "Velma and Mort's ice cream is melting special relativity problem"?

The "Velma and Mort's ice cream is melting special relativity problem" is a thought experiment used to explain the concepts of special relativity. It involves two individuals, Velma and Mort, moving at different speeds and observing each other's ice cream melting at different rates due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

How does special relativity affect the melting of ice cream in this problem?

In this problem, special relativity affects the melting of ice cream through the concepts of time dilation and length contraction. As Velma and Mort are moving at different speeds, their perception of time and distance is altered, leading to the difference in the rate of ice cream melting between them.

Is the "Velma and Mort's ice cream is melting special relativity problem" a real-life scenario?

No, the "Velma and Mort's ice cream is melting special relativity problem" is a hypothetical scenario used to explain the concepts of special relativity. While the effects of special relativity are observed in real-life scenarios such as GPS satellites, the ice cream melting problem is a simplified example to help understand the theory.

How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

Special relativity has many important applications in our daily lives. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in accelerators and spacecraft. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as GPS and satellite communications, which rely on precise timing and measurement.