Velocity always aimed at rectilinearly moving particle

In summary: &gs_l=hp.3..0l2j0i22i30k1l8.1643.4743.0.4843.17.14.0.0.0.0.260.2336.0j3j8.11.0....0...1.1.64.hp..6.11.2326.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i131i67k1j0i20k1j0i131i46i67k1j46i131i67k1j0i46i67k1j0i131i46i67i70k1j46i
ELiT.Maxwell

Homework Statement

2 points A and B, B moves rectilinear with uniform velocity u and velocity of A is always aimed at B with magnitude being constant=v, initially, v is perpendicular to u and separation was L, time taken for them to collide? and equation of motion of A? (in terms of x and y with origin at initial position of A would be good, y along initial AB and X perpendicular to it and +ve x in direction of u...would be better but, at this point anything would be good) ?

Homework Equations

ds/dt=v

The Attempt at a Solution

for collision, we can take relative motion by fixing a coordinate plane at A and coordinates of B=(x,y) and dx/dt=-vcosθ+u and dy/dt=-vsinθ (couldnt really do anything with dr/dt=-v+ucosθ) dividing, dy/dx=vy/(vx-u(x2+y2)1/2) ⇒vx.dy-u(x2+y2)1/2).dy=vy.dx
doesnt form d(y/x)
at t=0, x=0,y=L at t=T,x=0,y=0
tried same thing with origin at initial A with tanθ=L-y/ut-x and dx/dt=vcosθ and dy/dt=vsinθ and put value of θ at t=0, x=0,y=0 at t=T, x=uT,y=L

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Velocity always aimed at rectilinearly moving particle

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. What does it mean for velocity to be "always aimed"?

When we say velocity is "always aimed," we mean that it is always directed towards a specific point or direction. This is in contrast to velocity that changes direction or is not consistently directed towards a specific point.

3. What does it mean for velocity to be aimed at a "rectilinearly moving particle"?

In this context, a "rectilinearly moving particle" refers to an object that is moving in a straight line. So, when we say velocity is aimed at this type of particle, it means the velocity is directed along the same path as the particle's motion.

4. Why is it important for velocity to be aimed at a rectilinearly moving particle?

It is important for velocity to be aimed at a rectilinearly moving particle because it helps us accurately describe the motion of the particle. By knowing the direction and speed of the particle's motion, we can predict its future position and understand the forces acting upon it.

5. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the movement. So, two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.