Velocity and acceleration of a standing wave

In summary, the problem involves a string vibrating in its third harmonic with a speed of 192m/s and frequency of 240 Hz. The amplitude of the standing wave at an antinode is .4cm. Using the equations for velocity and acceleration, we can calculate the maximum transverse velocity and acceleration at points along the string a distance of 40cm, 20cm, and 10cm from the left end. After calculating the amplitudes at each point and solving for ω, we can plug these values into the equations to find the velocity and acceleration. However, there may be a mistake in the calculation of ω, as the velocity and acceleration values do not match the expected results.
forestmine

Homework Statement

A string with both ends held fixed is vibrating in its third harmonic. The waves have a speed of 192m/s and a frequency of 240 Hz. The amplitude of the standing wave at an antinode is .4cm. Calculate the maximum transverse velocity and the maximum transverse acceleration of the string at points along the string a distance of 40cm, 20cm, and 10cm from the left end of the string.

Homework Equations

v=-A*ω*sin(ωt)
a=-A*ω[itex]^{2}[/itex]*cos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was calculate the amplitude at each of those points along the string, using y=A*sin(ωt). I set 40cm=[itex]\pi[/itex], 20cm=[itex]\pi[/itex]/2, and 10cm=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 given that when I solve for λ I get .8m.

I then solved for ω. ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex]f gives me 1507.2 rad/s. Using that value for ω, and each of the amplitudes I found, I plugged them into the equations for v and a. At 40cm, I get a velocity and acceleration of 0, which makes sense. At 20cm, however, while my velocity is correct, but acceleration is incorrect. At 10cm, both my values for acceleration and velocity are incorrect. Not sure what step I'm missing here or why I can't seem to get the correct answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your acceleration equation should be
ω^2. ACos(ωt)

It is. That was a typo. Fixed it now.

FAQ: Velocity and acceleration of a standing wave

What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that remains in a constant position and does not move through a medium. It is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

How is velocity of a standing wave calculated?

The velocity of a standing wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength (distance between two consecutive nodes) by the frequency (number of complete waves passing through a point in one second).

What is the relationship between velocity and frequency in a standing wave?

The velocity of a standing wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the velocity of the wave also increases.

How does amplitude affect the acceleration of a standing wave?

The amplitude of a standing wave does not affect its acceleration. The acceleration of a standing wave is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the wave, not its amplitude.

Can the velocity and acceleration of a standing wave be altered?

Yes, the velocity and acceleration of a standing wave can be altered by changing the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. For example, the velocity of a wave can be increased by increasing the tension in a string, while the acceleration of a wave can be increased by decreasing the wavelength.