Velocity and distance of walking backpacker

• Thread starter vkrock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: In this case, the initial velocity is when she starts out and the final velocity is when she finishes.
vkrock

Homework Statement

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.32m/s due west. This average velocity results because she hikes for 6.44 km with an average velocity of 2.68m/s, due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of .447m/s due east. How far east did she walk?

Homework Equations

Unsure. However,
V^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2ax seems like it would yield an answer if you treat walking in the opposite direction like slowing down (as far as average velocity is concerned).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation mentioned above, thinking that turning around and walking east at .447m/s was like having an acceleration of -.447m/s because her positive average velocity due west is being decreased as she walks east. Unfortunately doing so yields answers of 24.34m which seems unreasonably low.

The other method I tried which yielded results was guess and check, using that she walked 6440m west at 2.68m/s which means for a total of 2403 seconds. I tried out a few distances east she could walk and checked to see what kind of impact that would have on her average velocity, this was the best match i could find:

6440m - 805m / 2403s + (805m/.447m/s) = 1.34m/s

i picked 805meters east, so i subtracted that from the 6440m west since it's like she's "unwalking" that distance, for time I add the 2403seconds it took her to get to 6440m west and the time it would take her to walk those 805m east which I got by dividing the 805m by her easterly velocitiy to come up with the time it would take her to achieve that distance.

I am wondering if the second method of guess and check and the answer it yielded seems reasonable. I am also curious if there is an easier way to do it but I was unable to get anything significant using the equations provided thus far in the course (which haven't been many).

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't use that equation... that's only for constant acceleration...

Hint: average velocity = (total displacement)/(total time)

find the time she walked east first... then from that you can get how far she walked east.

I can't find any equations that could tell me time given only an initial and final velocity, they all seem to include either the final distance (which I don't know) or the acceleration. I am sorry if I am completely missing the boat here, but I am not at all sure how I would figure out time walking east without knowing distance walking east (or vice versa).

vkrock said:
I can't find any equations that could tell me time given only an initial and final velocity, they all seem to include either the final distance (which I don't know) or the acceleration. I am sorry if I am completely missing the boat here, but I am not at all sure how I would figure out time walking east without knowing distance walking east (or vice versa).

Let t = the time walking east...

In terms of t, what is the total displacement?

It would be her velocity going east multiplied by the length of time she walks east so,
.447m/s(t)

vkrock said:
It would be her velocity going east multiplied by the length of time she walks east so,
.447m/s(t)

yes, but what is her total displacement for the entire trip...

learningphysics said:
yes, but what is her total displacement for the entire trip...

6440m - .447m/s(t) / 2403s + t

vkrock said:
6440m - .447m/s(t) / 2403s + t

cool... that's exactly what you need... it's not the displacement... but that's the average velocity of the entire trip taking west as positive... now just solve:

[tex]\frac{6440m - .447m/s(t)}{ 2403s + t} = 1.32[/tex]

Thank you! That's the same equation I was using to guess and check except I never let the variable be time, always used distance instead. It's kind of funny how your mind can paint itself into a corner. Thanks again, for the help.

vkrock said:
Thank you! That's the same equation I was using to guess and check except I never let the variable be time, always used distance instead. It's kind of funny how your mind can paint itself into a corner. Thanks again, for the help.

no prob.

Can anyone explain the solving for t part?

What exactly is initial and final velocity?

**kaiyana** said:
What exactly is initial and final velocity?
First things first: Do you understand what velocity is?

Initial and final just refer to the start and end of some interval. You start out with some initial velocity and you end up with some final velocity.

Related to Velocity and distance of walking backpacker

1. What is the average walking speed of a backpacker?

The average walking speed of a backpacker varies depending on factors such as terrain, physical fitness, and weight of the backpack. However, it is estimated to be around 3-4 miles per hour.

2. How far can a backpacker walk in a day?

This also depends on the same factors as the walking speed. On average, a backpacker can cover a distance of 10-15 miles in a day. However, this can vary greatly depending on individual capabilities and the difficulty of the terrain.

3. Does walking speed affect the distance a backpacker can cover?

Yes, walking speed is directly proportional to the distance a backpacker can cover in a given time. The faster a backpacker walks, the farther they can go in a day.

4. How does the weight of a backpack affect walking speed?

The weight of a backpack does have an impact on walking speed. The heavier the backpack, the slower the walking speed. This is because the weight adds strain and fatigue to the backpacker's body, making it harder to maintain a faster pace.

5. Is it possible to increase walking speed while carrying a heavy backpack?

Yes, it is possible to increase walking speed while carrying a heavy backpack. This can be achieved through proper training and conditioning of the body, as well as using techniques such as adjusting the backpack weight distribution and taking breaks to rest and stretch muscles.