Velocity change when an impulsive force is applied ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity and how it relates to impulsive forces. While the position of a particle is usually a continuous function of time, velocity can sometimes be discontinuous, as demonstrated in the example of a steel ball colliding with another steel ball. This discontinuity is due to the application of an impulsive force, which can cause a step change in velocity. However, this idea of an impulse acting instantaneously is not physically correct, and in reality, the velocity changes continuously during the interaction. This is because the objects experience microscopic levels of slowing down and speeding up to avoid infinite acceleration. Depending on perspective and context, velocity can be seen as both continuous and discontinuous.
shalikadm
I was reading an article about velocity and displacement of a particle..It says "though the position of a particle is a continuous function of time,velocity sometimes isn't.For instance velocity is not continuous while an impulsive force is being applied."
But I think that velocity changes continuously even an impulsive force is being applied.imagine a ball is collided into a bat.when it collides its velocity is reduced to zero and increased into some different velocity but continuously..Please explain this to me..

Physics news on Phys.org
It may simply be a matter of semantics that you are wrestling with. Imagine a steel ball rolling to the right at 2 m/sec. when at t=5 sec it collides with an identical ball moving to the left at the same speed. A graph of velocity vs. time would show a horizontal line of, say, +2m/sec before t=5 sec, and after that it (on our scale) "immediately" switches over to a horizontal line of -2m/sec. This does appear to me, for all practical purposes, to be a discontinuity.

Of course, with steel being a relatively elastic material, during the interaction, each ball does on a microscopic level steadily slow, then steadily speed up. It has to, because a perfect discontinuity in the speed would correspond to infinite acceleration meaning an infinite force.

So, depending on perspective or the context, you could say velocity is continuous — or it isn't. Both statements are right, or close enough to being right that the difference doesn't matter. That's my view.

Mathematically, you can think of an finite impulse (change or momentum) as the limiting case of a very large force acting for a very short time, as the force becomes "infinitely large" and the time "infinitely small" (i.e. zero). In that sense there is a step change in the velocity of the particle.

This idea of an impulse acting "instantaneously" is not physically correct, but if the duration of the impulse is very small compared with the time scale you are interested in, it simplifies the math. For example in collisions between objects, often you are not interested in what happens to the objects DURING the collision, but only in their velocities AFTER the collision.

I think your quote would be better English and less confusing if it said "For instance velocity is not continuous WHEN an impulsive force is being applied", not WHILE.

NascentOxygen said:
It may simply be a matter of semantics that you are wrestling with. Imagine a steel ball rolling to the right at 2 m/sec. when at t=5 sec it collides with an identical ball moving to the left at the same speed. A graph of velocity vs. time would show a horizontal line of, say, +2m/sec before t=5 sec, and after that it (on our scale) "immediately" switches over to a horizontal line of -2m/sec. This does appear to me, for all practical purposes, to be a discontinuity.

Of course, with steel being a relatively elastic material, during the interaction, each ball does on a microscopic level steadily slow, then steadily speed up. It has to, because a perfect discontinuity in the speed would correspond to infinite acceleration meaning an infinite force.

So, depending on perspective or the context, you could say velocity is continuous — or it isn't. Both statements are right, or close enough to being right that the difference doesn't matter. That's my view.
I think that the impulsive force generated by one ball on the other slows down to o ms-1 till it changes all its kinetic energy into elastic potential energy and speeds up to 2 ms-1 in the other direction changing all elastic potential energy into kinetic energy in milliseconds.I also thinks that there's an impulsive acceleration generated by this impulsive force which changes the velocity continuously..like velocity increment in free fall-starting at o ms-1 and increasing velocity continuously like 0.00000000001 ms-1 in 0.0000000000001 seconds..

AlephZero said:
Mathematically, you can think of an finite impulse (change or momentum) as the limiting case of a very large force acting for a very short time, as the force becomes "infinitely large" and the time "infinitely small" (i.e. zero). In that sense there is a step change in the velocity of the particle.

This idea of an impulse acting "instantaneously" is not physically correct, but if the duration of the impulse is very small compared with the time scale you are interested in, it simplifies the math. For example in collisions between objects, often you are not interested in what happens to the objects DURING the collision, but only in their velocities AFTER the collision.

I think your quote would be better English and less confusing if it said "For instance velocity is not continuous WHEN an impulsive force is being applied", not WHILE.
Is it something like this ?
-we just take velocity changing discontinuously mathematically though it changes continuously.Do we just dismiss what happens actually inside it? So how can we say that the velocity changes discontinuously ?

Yes. We just dismiss what happens during that small time period while the balls are in contact. We model that time to be zero, so that, for instance, if the collision happens at t = t1, then for any other t > t1, the speed of ball is taken to be v(t+dt), where dt is the actual time of collision.

Please see my responses in the following thread, particularly response # 22:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=649233

The key to understanding what is going on in impulsive collisions like this is to recognize that the deformation of each of the objects is non-homogeneous and varies with time, as elastic compression waves travel from the contact end of each object to the free end, and then the compression is released from the free end to the contact end. In my responses, I also present the analytic results for two identical elastic cylinders colliding head on.

Related to Velocity change when an impulsive force is applied ?

1. How does an impulsive force affect velocity?

When an impulsive force is applied to an object, its velocity will change. The magnitude and direction of the velocity change will depend on the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

2. What is an impulsive force?

An impulsive force is a sudden and brief force that is applied to an object. It can cause a change in the object's velocity, but it does not act for a long period of time like a continuous force.

3. How is the velocity change calculated when an impulsive force is applied?

The velocity change is calculated by dividing the impulse (product of the force and the time interval over which it acts) by the mass of the object. This gives the change in velocity in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can an impulsive force change an object's direction of motion?

Yes, an impulsive force can change the direction of an object's motion. This is because the direction of the force determines the direction of the velocity change.

5. How is the concept of momentum related to an impulsive force?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. When an impulsive force is applied, it causes a change in the object's velocity, which in turn affects its momentum. The greater the force and the longer it acts, the greater the change in momentum will be.