Velocity in relation to position

In summary, the problem involves a hot-air balloon rising at a constant rate of 1.8 m/s and a passenger realizing she left her camera on the ground. A friend tosses the camera straight upward when the passenger is 3.1 m above. The minimum initial speed of the camera needs to be determined for it to reach the passenger. Using V^2=Vi^2 + 2aΔX, an incorrect answer of 8m/s was found. However, the correct approach is to express the altitude of the balloon and camera as functions of time, equate them, and solve for t to determine the minimum initial velocity of the camera.
destinc
A hot-air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at the constant rate of 1.8 . Suddenly one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward. If the passenger is 3.1 above her friend when the camera is tossed, what is the minimum initial speed of the camera if it is to just reach the passenger? (Hint: When the camera is thrown with its minimum speed, its speed on reaching the passenger is the same as the speed of the passenger.)

I tried to use V^2=Vi^2 + 2aΔX to solve for Vi
I plugged in (1.8)^2=Vi^2 +2(-9.8)3.1
and got Vi=8m/s but that answer is wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
destinc said:
A hot-air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at the constant rate of 1.8 . Suddenly one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward. If the passenger is 3.1 above her friend when the camera is tossed, what is the minimum initial speed of the camera if it is to just reach the passenger? (Hint: When the camera is thrown with its minimum speed, its speed on reaching the passenger is the same as the speed of the passenger.)

I tried to use V^2=Vi^2 + 2aΔX to solve for Vi
I plugged in (1.8)^2=Vi^2 +2(-9.8)3.1
and got Vi=8m/s but that answer is wrong. Where did I go wrong?
First of all, you need some units on the given data.

Then, "rising at the constant rate of 1.8" could mean a constant velocity, or a constant acceleration. Again, units would help clear up this ambiguity.

sorry, balloon is rising at constant rate of 1.8m/s.
balloon height is 3.1m.
for the formula I used (1.8m/s)^2=Vi + 2(-9.8m/s^2)3.1m

destinc said:
sorry, balloon is rising at constant rate of 1.8m/s.
balloon height is 3.1m.
for the formula I used (1.8m/s)^2=Vi + 2(-9.8m/s^2)3.1m
You are mixing the velocity and altitude of the balloon with the acceleration of the camera. Also vi should be squared in this formula. Beside that, I doubt that this kinematic equation is the most helpful in solving this problem.

Express the altitude of the balloon as a function of time, t, where t = 0 seconds at the moment at which the balloon's altitude was 3.1 m, which is also the moment the camera was tossed up .

Express the altitude of the camera as a function of time, t .

Equate the two & solve for t. The result will depend on the initial velocity of the camera.

It looks like you may have made a simple sign error in your equation. The acceleration due to gravity, -9.8 m/s^2, should be positive since it is acting in the same direction as the motion of the camera. So the correct equation should be V^2 = Vi^2 + 2aΔX, where a = 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging in the values, we get (1.8)^2 = Vi^2 + 2(9.8)(3.1), which gives Vi = 13.8 m/s. This is the minimum initial speed of the camera to reach the passenger.

Related to Velocity in relation to position

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. This can be represented mathematically as v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of an object's motion. In other words, velocity takes into account both how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

How does velocity relate to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are related because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. This means that when an object experiences acceleration, its velocity will either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the acceleration.

What is the significance of velocity in science?

Velocity is an important concept in science because it helps us understand and describe the motion of objects. It is used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology, to study the movement and behavior of particles, molecules, and organisms.