Velocity in two motions (X and Y) ?

• Thread starter vinny380
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving velocity in two motions, X and Y. The problem involves a pilot trying to reach an airport in a small plane, with a wind blowing from the west. The question asks for the heading and airspeed that should be chosen to reach the destination. The conversation explores the use of a triangle on a coordinate grid to solve the problem, as well as the concept of average and instantaneous velocity. The solution involves using Pythagoras' Theorem and trigonometry to calculate the direction and speed of the plane.
vinny380
Velocity in two motions (X and Y) ??!

Just wondering if anyone could guide me on this question:

1) You are piloting a small plane, and you want to reach an airport 450 kn due south in 3.0 hours. A wind is blowing from the west at 50.0 km/h. What heading and airspeed should you choose to reach your destination?

First, I drew a triangle on the cordinate gird (X and Y axis). I made one of the legs 50.0 km/h, and the other 450 km.
Ax + Bx = Rx
So Rx = 50.0
Ry = 450

R^2= Rx^2 + Ry^2
R^2= 50^2 + 450^2
R= 452.8 km/h

Is this the correct answer? I really don't know because why then would they include a time (3 hrs.) which I didnt even need or use. I am really stuck on this trouble. Also, am I just trying to find velocity? Whats heading?
Thanks!
BTW - my teacher said this was a pretty easy problem, so it should not be too difficult...

Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem is that you're mixing units. One leg of your triangle is a velocity and another is a displacement. You can't do that.

Think about the problem for a moment. You know the displacement you want and you know the time - that will give you the average velocity. If you assume that your velocity remains constant, then the average velocity will be the same as the instantaneous velocity. This is where the triangle comes in - at what course and speed do you have to fly so that your airspeed velocity (and I suddenly feel like I'm in a Monty Python movie) vector-summed with the wind's velocity will give you the velocity you want.

Does that help?

I understood the first part - but I am still a little confused ...

So V= D/T
V= 450/3
V= 150 km/h <----- Average velocity

What do I do next?

Now you have a velocity (150kmh-1) due south and a wind of 50 kmh-1 from the west (pointing east). You can use Pythagoras' Theorem to calulate a value for V (assuming that you want to reach you destination in 3 hours)!
Technically you can travel faster than V if you wanted, you'd just get there sooner a different direction would have to be flown.

And the direction of velocity can be calculated with trigonometry.

If you would like a graphical representation, I'd be glad to help.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:

Related to Velocity in two motions (X and Y) ?

What is velocity in two motions?

Velocity in two motions refers to the speed and direction of an object's movement in two different directions, typically represented as the horizontal (X) and vertical (Y) axes.

How is velocity in two motions calculated?

Velocity in two motions is calculated by dividing the distance traveled in each direction by the time it took to travel that distance. The result is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have a key difference. Velocity includes both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed only refers to how fast an object is moving without considering direction.

How is velocity in two motions graphically represented?

Velocity in two motions can be graphically represented as a vector on a coordinate plane, with the horizontal and vertical components being represented by the X and Y axes, respectively. The length of the vector represents the speed, while the direction of the vector represents the direction of movement.

What are some common real-life examples of velocity in two motions?

Some common examples of velocity in two motions include the flight of a plane, the trajectory of a thrown ball, and the path of a rollercoaster. These all involve movement in two different directions, with varying speeds and directions at different points in time.