Velocity in Vacuum: Feather Dropped, 0.30 secs

• Thread starter Carnivean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of acceleration due to gravity and its application to a feather being dropped in a vacuum chamber. The conversation includes questions about the velocity and distance traveled after 0.30 seconds, and the use of kinematic equations to solve for these values. The conversation also includes a guide on how to type superscript and subscript text.
Carnivean
Ok:

Note: Acceleration due to gravity: g = 9.8 m/s

A feather is dropped inside a vacuum chamber.

A) What is the Velocity after 0.30 sec?

B) How far has it fallen after 0.30 sec?

I'm stuck on this.. it seems simple.. but maybe too simple. I think there is more too it. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums,

According the the policy one is supposed to show ones efforts before asking for assistance.

Umm.. I said I was stuck. I do not know where to begin at? Help me?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. Now, if an object is accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s (note the units) how fast will it be going after 1 second? 0.3 seconds?

after 1 sec it will go 9.8 right? and after .3 sec it will go 2.94.. i think.

Carnivean said:
after 1 sec it will go 9.8 right? and after .3 sec it will go 2.94.. i think.
Sounds good to me. Now, for the second question what kinematic equations do you know?

for distance I have d = 1/2at (the 't' is squared , but I don't know how to type a small '2' next to it.. if you could show me that too please) this is an equation for the problems where acceleration info is already is included.

where initial velocity is included: d= InitialVelocity x (t) + 1/2a x (t squared)

Carnivean said:
for distance I have d = 1/2at (the 't' is squared , but I don't know how to type a small '2' next to it.. if you could show me that too please) this is an equation for the problems where acceleration info is already is included.

where initial velocity is included: d= InitialVelocity x (t) + 1/2a x (t squared)
Your first equation looks applicable here :smile:. To type superscript text simply enclose the text in [#sup#] [#/sup#] tags (without the #).

ok I got .441 meters for the distance which I think sounds right. Almost a half a meter. But could you give me an example of how to do the superscript thing again? Is it [/then the number]? or [#the number#] ? Just show me an example of how you would type it.

Carnivean said:
ok I got .441 meters for the distance which I think sounds right. Almost a half a meter. But could you give me an example of how to do the superscript thing again? Is it [/then the number]? or [#the number#] ? Just show me an example of how you would type it.

For example if you wanted to type x2, you would type:
Code:
x[#sup]2[/sup#]
Or for subscript;
Code:
x[#sub]2[/sub#]
Again, without the # marks.

ok thanks soo much for your help.. you don't know how much it is appreciated. I will be back many a times probably until about january.

let me try - x 2

FAQ: Velocity in Vacuum: Feather Dropped, 0.30 secs

1. What is the definition of velocity in vacuum?

Velocity in vacuum is the speed at which an object moves in a vacuum, which is a space that is completely empty of matter.

2. How is velocity in vacuum different from velocity in other mediums?

Velocity in vacuum is different from velocity in other mediums because the absence of air resistance allows objects to move at a constant speed without slowing down.

3. What is the significance of dropping a feather in a vacuum for 0.30 seconds?

Dropping a feather in a vacuum for 0.30 seconds allows scientists to study the effects of gravity on objects with minimal interference from air resistance.

4. How does the time of 0.30 seconds affect the velocity of the feather?

The time of 0.30 seconds does not affect the velocity of the feather in a vacuum, as there is no external force acting on the feather to change its speed.

5. What are some practical applications of studying velocity in vacuum?

Studying velocity in vacuum has practical applications in fields such as physics and aerospace engineering, as it allows for more accurate calculations and predictions of the motion of objects in space. It also helps in understanding the effects of air resistance on objects in our everyday lives.

Back