Velocity leaving a cannon, hitting landing cushion, and acceleration experienced

In summary, we are trying to find the velocity and acceleration of a stuntman being shot from a 3m cannon at a circus, with the landing cushion being 30m away from the cannon. Using the formulas Vo=\sqrt{dg/sin2\Theta} and Vo2=2a\Deltax, we can calculate that the initial velocity of the stuntman is 17.7 m/s and the acceleration experienced in the cannon is 5.22 m/s. However, the answers given are lower, possibly due to using the incorrect distance of 30m instead of 3m in the equations.
pech0706

Homework Statement

An 80 kg stuntman is shot from a cannon at a circus. The cannon is 3m in length and angled at 35 degrees above the level floor. The landing cusion is 30m away from the cannon. What velocity will the stuntman have 1)when he leaves the cannon and 2)when he first hits the landing cushion? What acceleration must the stuntman experience in the shot from the cannon? Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

Vo=[tex]\sqrt{dg/sin2\Theta}[/tex]
Vo2=2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

My solutions are higher then the answers given. When i calculated initial velocity (for being shot out of the cannon?) i got 17.7 m/s. that was using d=30m, g=9.81 divided by sin 2(35). Using that number i got the acceleration to be 5.22m/s, for that one i believe the answer is around 52 m/s. I don't know exactly how to get the velocity at the landing cushion.

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The cannon barrel is only 3.0 meters long.

You used 30 meters to find the accelerstion.

alright, using 3m as the range for the range equation i got an initial velocity of 5.8m/s, but that got me an even smaller acceleration.

Assuming that v0 = 17.7 m/s is correct (and it appears that it is) then to find the acceleration experienced by the stunt man while he id in the cannon, use:

v02 = 2 acannon Δxcannon.

For this part, use 3.0 meters. (You apparently used 30 meters.)

I would like to thank you for providing your attempt at a solution and the relevant equations. Your calculations seem to be correct, and the discrepancy between your answers and the given answers could be due to rounding errors. It is always important to double-check your calculations and make sure that you are using appropriate units.

To calculate the velocity at the landing cushion, we can use the equation for projectile motion:

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

Where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled. We know the initial velocity (17.7 m/s) and the distance traveled (30 m). We can assume that the final velocity is 0 m/s since the stuntman comes to a stop at the landing cushion. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration:

a = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/2d

Plugging in the values, we get:

a = (0 - (17.7)^2)/2(30) = -7.41 m/s^2

Since the acceleration is negative, it means that the stuntman is slowing down as he approaches the landing cushion. This is expected since he is experiencing a deceleration due to the cushion's impact.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and provides a more accurate solution to the problem. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Velocity leaving a cannon, hitting landing cushion, and acceleration experienced

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity leaving a cannon?

The formula for calculating velocity leaving a cannon is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the cannon above the ground.

2. How does the angle of the cannon affect the velocity of the projectile?

The angle of the cannon greatly affects the velocity of the projectile. The higher the angle, the higher the velocity at which the projectile will leave the cannon. This is because at a higher angle, the force of gravity acting on the projectile is less, allowing it to travel at a higher velocity.

3. What happens to the velocity as the projectile hits the landing cushion?

As the projectile hits the landing cushion, its velocity decreases due to the cushion's ability to absorb some of the energy. The amount of decrease depends on the materials and design of the cushion, as well as the velocity and mass of the projectile.

4. How does acceleration affect the velocity of the projectile?

Acceleration affects the velocity of the projectile by changing its speed or direction. In the case of a cannon, the projectile experiences acceleration due to the force of gravity. This acceleration causes the projectile to gain speed as it falls towards the ground, resulting in a higher velocity when it hits the landing cushion.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that a projectile can reach when fired from a cannon?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that a projectile can reach when fired from a cannon. This is known as the terminal velocity and is dependent on the air resistance acting on the projectile. Once the air resistance balances out the force of gravity, the projectile will no longer accelerate and will maintain a constant velocity until it hits the landing cushion.