Velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance

In summary, the problem involves an asteroid starting from rest at an infinite distance from the Earth and finding its speed when it strikes the Earth. The relevant physical quantities are the mass of the Earth, the radius of the Earth, the gravitational constant, and the distance between the Earth and the asteroid. Using the equations for potential energy and force, it is determined that the potential energy becomes negative as the asteroid gets closer to the Earth. By applying the law of conservation of energy and setting the potential energy at infinity to be 0, the equation for velocity is derived and the resulting speed is found to be 1.1*10^4 m/s.
Foehammer

Homework Statement

An asteroid which strikes the Earth starts from rest a very large distance r from the Earth (say r = ∞). What will its speed be when it hits the earth? (Use M = 6.0×1024 kg, r= 6.4×106 m, G = 6.7×10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2)

Homework Equations

[/B]
U=-GmM/r
F=GmM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At r=∞ the potential energy is 0.

I replaced F with m*a to get this:

m*a=GmM/r^2

Dividing out an m and plugging in the numbers gets me 9.81 as the acceleration (which makes sense as that is the accepted value of acceleration for Earth). I don't know how I am supposed to find the velocity after this. The answer is 1.1*10^4 m/s. (I know the answer because it is a back-test, just need guidance on how it is done).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of what remains constant during the asteroid's trajectory towards the Earth?

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
Can you think of what remains constant during the asteroid's trajectory towards the Earth?

Weight of both Earth/Asteroid, acceleration from Earth's gravity on asteroid. I don't know of anything else that may pertain to the problem though. Direction maybe?

Foehammer said:
Weight of both Earth/Asteroid, acceleration from Earth's gravity on asteroid. I don't know of anything else that may pertain to the problem though. Direction maybe?

I'm sorry to say, you're not correct on most of those. The Earth and the asteroid have constant mass - but the Earth has no weight as such. And, the acceleration of the asteroid is most certainly not constant.

Regarding what else is relevant. Think about the physical quantities you know about.

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
I'm sorry to say, you're not correct on most of those. The Earth and the asteroid have constant mass - but the Earth has no weight as such. And, the acceleration of the asteroid is most certainly not constant.

Regarding what else is relevant. Think about the physical quantities you know about.

The physical quantities I know are what is given in the problem statement. Mass of earth, radius of earth, the gravitational constant, and the distance between Earth/asteroid (infinity). I know from the equation of potential energy that when it is at infinity the potential energy is 0. My natural thought on this is that if its infinite distance away there would be no attraction between the Earth and asteroid meaning the asteroid wouldn't even go towards the earth. Given that there is in fact an answer means I am wrong. I don't think you can use kinematic equations on this either. I really just don't know where else to go.

Foehammer said:
The physical quantities I know are what is given in the problem statement. Mass of earth, radius of earth, the gravitational constant, and the distance between Earth/asteroid (infinity). I know from the equation of potential energy that when it is at infinity the potential energy is 0. My natural thought on this is that if its infinite distance away there would be no attraction between the Earth and asteroid meaning the asteroid wouldn't even go towards the earth. Given that there is in fact an answer means I am wrong. I don't think you can use kinematic equations on this either. I really just don't know where else to go.

Assume the asteroid starts to move towards the Earth. There's no such thing as infinity, so it's just a long way away. The clue is in your own post.

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
Assume the asteroid starts to move towards the Earth. There's no such thing as infinity, so it's just a long way away. The clue is in your own post.

Oh, a thing I just thought of is conservation of energy, but given that initial potential energy is 0 equating that to .5mv^2 would do me no good as v would be 0 to make that work.

Foehammer said:
Oh, a thing I just thought of is conservation of energy, but given that initial potential energy is 0 equating that to .5mv^2 would do me no good as v would be 0 to make that work.

You're on the right track now. Conservation of energy is one of the most important and useful laws of physics. Never forget it!

Now, think carefully about what happens to the potential energy as the asteroid gets closer to Earth.

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
You're on the right track now. Conservation of energy is one of the most important and useful laws of physics. Never forget it!

Now, think carefully about what happens to the potential energy as the asteroid gets closer to Earth.

Potential energy would decrease as it got closer, but if the starting potential energy is 0 does that make the potential energy become negative?

Foehammer said:
Potential energy would decrease as it got closer, but if the starting potential energy is 0 does that make the potential energy become negative?

Absolutely correct! If you take the PE to be 0 at "infinity", then it's negative everywhere else.

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
Absolutely correct! If you take the PE to be 0 at "infinity", then it's negative everywhere else.

Alright, so eventually it would have to hit Earth which is why it gives me the Earth's radius as the stopping distance. So..

.5mv^2=-GmM/r
m's cancel
.5v^2=-(6.7*10^-11)*6*10^24/(6.4*10^6)
v^2=-125,625,000

My only hiccup now is you can't take the square root of a negative number? Would it be negative of a negative or is the negative in the original equation already accounting for what we just arrived at as all potential energy being negative as the closer it gets to earth? Ignoring the negative gives me the correct answer so thank you very much on that part!

Foehammer said:
Alright, so eventually it would have to hit Earth which is why it gives me the Earth's radius as the stopping distance. So..

.5mv^2=-GmM/r
m's cancel
.5v^2=-(6.7*10^-11)*6*10^24/(6.4*10^6)
v^2=-125,625,000

My only hiccup now is you can't take the square root of a negative number? Would it be negative of a negative or is the negative in the original equation already accounting for what we just arrived at as all potential energy being negative as the closer it gets to earth? Ignoring the negative gives me the correct answer so thank you very much on that part!

Now, you need to think more carefully about conservation of energy (KE + PE) in this case. What is total the (constant) total energy of the asteroid?

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
Now, you need to think more carefully about conservation of energy (KE + PE) in this case. What is total the (constant) total energy of the asteroid?

Hmm, would it be 0? Since PE gets negative as KE becomes positive when we start moving towards Earth. Initially it wasn't moving and PE was 0 so 0+0=0

Foehammer said:
Hmm, would it be 0? Since PE gets negative as KE becomes positive when we start moving towards Earth. Initially it wasn't moving and PE was 0 so 0+0=0

Yes. The total energy is 0.

Note: That also shows that energy is arbitrary: the total energy can be anything you like. It's actually the changes in energy that are absolute.

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
Yes. The total energy is 0.

Note: That also shows that energy is arbitrary: the total energy can be anything you like. It's actually the changes in energy that are absolute.

So KE+PE=0

.5mv^2+(-GmM/r)=0
.5mv^2=GmM/r

Which would get rid of my negative allowing me to find the proper answer. Is that line of thought correct?

Foehammer said:
So KE+PE=0

.5mv^2+(-GmM/r)=0
.5mv^2=GmM/r

Which would get rid of my negative allowing me to find the proper answer. Is that line of thought correct?

Yes.

Likes Foehammer
PeroK said:
Yes.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help. It was greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Related to Velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance

What is the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance?

The velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance depends on the mass and gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting. It can also be influenced by other factors such as the asteroid's trajectory and any external forces acting upon it.

How is the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance calculated?

The velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance is calculated using the formula v = sqrt(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object it is orbiting, and r is the distance between the two objects.

Can the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance change?

Yes, the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance can change over time. This can happen due to interactions with other objects in space, such as gravitational pulls from planets, or due to changes in the asteroid's trajectory.

How does the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance affect its orbit?

The velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance is directly related to its orbit. A higher velocity can result in a more elliptical orbit, while a lower velocity can result in a more circular orbit. The velocity also determines the period of the asteroid's orbit around the object it is orbiting.

Why is the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance important to study?

Studying the velocity of an asteroid from an infinite distance can provide valuable information about the asteroid's orbit, trajectory, and potential impact on other objects in space. It is also important for understanding the dynamics of our solar system and the laws of gravity.