Velocity of an Electron from Momentum

In summary: That is the history of physics - the scientists try something and when it fails, they try something else. So, you could be a modern-day Newton, proposing a new theory of gravity, and you can use this calculation as evidence that the new theory is needed. In summary, the conversation discusses the determination and differentiation of the Lorentz Factor and velocity from the given information of momentum and mass. The equations E^2=(mc^2)^2+p^2c^2 and p=ymv are used, but the student is unable to isolate velocity and is seeking help. However, the idea of creating a black hole by accelerating an electron to a high enough energy is debunked, as it goes against the principles of special relativity
dbmorpher

Homework Statement

If I know the momentum and mass of a particle how do I determine/differentiate the Lorentz Factor and velocity?

Electron rest mass: 9.10938215e-31kg
c=299792458m/s
y=Lorentz Factor
m=mass
p=momentum
e=energy
Calculated momentum: 2.019006271e+14kg m/s

Homework Equations

E^2=(mc^2)^2+p^2c^2
p=ymv
y=1/((1-v^2/c^2)^0.5)

The Attempt at a Solution

2.216403086e+44 = yv

I tried multiple times to isolate v by using the equation for the Lorentz function but alas was not able to do it. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
dbmorpher

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not express the lorentz factor in terms of v in ##p=\gamma mv## then just solve for v?

That is what I tried to do however I received some very unusual answers such as an almost zero number. i. e. I need some help with isolating velocity because I can't seem to be able to myself.

What do you get if you insert your expression for p in your expression for E^2?

On another note: 2e+14 kg m/s is a humongous momentum. A space shuttle with that momentum would be traveling at relativistic velocities ... I think you should have a minus in the exponent ;)

That is what I tried to do however I received some very unusual answers such as an almost zero number. i. e. I need some help with isolating velocity because I can't seem to be able to myself.
Please show your working.

Well I had a lot of working but I deleted it because it didn't work. However I found a similar thread that solved my problem. Thank you for your interest. If you were wondering the reason the acceleration is so high is because I am trying to create a black hole by accelerating an electron to a high enough energy that the mass creates a black hole with the same radius and charge of an electron. But as I'm typing this I realize that I may be an order of magnitude too high because the radius I used was multiplied by ten. So thank you for your help I think I can get it myself now.

You cannot do that. You can always make a Lorentz transformation to the electron rest frame and whatever happens in that frame must happen in all frames. Black holes are the domain of general relativity and you will never be able to argue for creating one using SR.

If a particle gains energy when it gains mommetum then by extension it gains mass. My idea if you get an electron traveling fast enough the energy will increase enough to turn it into a black hole with the same radius as the electron and can therefore be fed with the electron.

This is not true and depends on what you mean by mass. The invariant mass of the electron is always ca 511 keV/c^2. The bottom line is that current physical theories do not allow what you are trying to accomplish - it is an unfortunate conclusion that I suspect many laymen draw from the concept of relativistic mass.

So basically no matter how fast an electron goes its mass never increases because relativistic mass does not correlate to the actual mass of the particle?

The word "mass" refers to the invarient mass, and this is considered the "actual" mass of the particle.
(note: the word "actual" is problematic in relativity, avoid it.)

What has historically been considered the mass-increase for "relativistic mass" is understood in terms of kinetic energy.

You cannot just blindly convert energy into matter for use in Newtons equation of gravity - to handle gravity in a relativity framework you have to use the Einstein field equations instead. These equations supplant Newtonian gravity, which has a more narrow application so cannot be expected to give good results in extreme situations such as you are contemplating.

The calculation you have contemplated would be a nice setup for an experiment proving that Newtonian gravity cannot be used in this way.

Last edited:

FAQ: Velocity of an Electron from Momentum

1. What is the relationship between momentum and velocity of an electron?

The momentum of an electron is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the momentum of an electron increases, its velocity also increases.

2. How is the velocity of an electron calculated from its momentum?

The velocity of an electron can be calculated using the formula v = p/m, where v is the velocity, p is the momentum, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. Does the velocity of an electron change as it travels through different materials?

Yes, the velocity of an electron can change as it travels through different materials. This is because the material's properties, such as its density and electric field, can affect the electron's momentum and thus its velocity.

4. Can the velocity of an electron be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Therefore, the velocity of an electron cannot be greater than the speed of light.

5. How does the velocity of an electron affect its behavior in an electric field?

The velocity of an electron plays a crucial role in its behavior in an electric field. As the electron's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases, making it more likely to be affected by the electric field and change its direction of motion.

Back