Velocity of Ball When Just Starting to Roll in Relation to Collision Speed v0

In summary, the relationship between the velocity of a billiards ball when it has just started rolling and the speed v0 directly after a collision with a billiard stick is v = 5/7v0. This can be shown using the conservation of angular momentum and the moment of inertia of the ball.
Jotun.uu

Homework Statement

A billiards ball (mass m) is hit by a billiard stick on the center of the ball (from the side) with a collision impulse mv0 so that the cues line of travel goes straight through the center of mass of the billiards ball, which in the collision-approximation gives a speed v0 immediately after the collision. The angular velocity is equal to zero directly after the collision (the ball glides, before it starts to roll). The frictioncoefficient is u, and the ball starts at rest.
Find the relationship between the velocity of the ball when it has just started rolling and the speed v0 directly after the collision.

Homework Equations

F = ma = m*dv/dt
small f = friction.
time ball is hit = t0.
time ball stops gliding = t1.
velocity of ball when it is about to start rolling = v1, and velocity when it starts rolling is v2.
R is the radius of the ball.
The moment of inertia of the ball I = (2/5)mR².
the angular acceleration is called alpha = dw/dt, where w = omega meaning the angular velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I believe I have solved this question, but I'm sure you can find something I did wrong =).

the integral of the powers affecting the ball along the x-axis is the integral of friction (f) and the collision impulse mv0.
Integral from t0->t1:mv0dt = mv0(t1)-mv0(t0)
Normal N from the ground is mg. friction f = -uN integrated like above over time is -uN(t1-t0). I now assume that the time it glides is very small so that t1-t0 = 0.

Therefore mv0(t1) = mv0(t0) which means that v0(t1) = v0(t0), which in turn means that v1 = v0.

keep in mind that mdv/dt = ma = -f for later. (1)

Now I used Eulers II law stating that the sum of the moment Mz = fR = I*alpha which means that f = I*alpha/R

(1) mdv = -I*dw/R
I now integrate from v0 (which remember is equal to v1!) to v2 and I also integrate for the angular velocity from 0 (since it was gliding) to v2/R, because v = w*R. I've also removed m from the equation now since it was on both sides of the = sign.

(integrate v0 -> v2: dv) = -(2/5)R (integral 0 -> v2/R: dw) => v2 - v0 = -(2/5)v2.
Solving for v2 I got the answer: v2 = 5v0/7 which means that when you hit the ball, the speed it will have when it starts to roll is 5/7's the speed you hit it with!

Am I right in these calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. :smile:

Here is a much faster way to answer this question. (I already started it before seeing tiny-tim's posting ** Edit: Doc Al not tiny-tim, sorry **.) You start with a ball sliding (but not rolling) with a center of mass velocity v0. You end up with a rolling ball with center of mass velocity v. The angular momentum of the ball relative to the point of contact is conserved. So

Lbefore = m v0 R
Lafter = I ω

where I is about the point of contact.

[tex]I = \frac{2}{5}m R^{2} + m R^{2}=\frac{7}{5}m R^{2}[/tex]

Since the ball rolls without slipping in the end ω = v / R. Then

[tex]m v_{0}R = \frac{7}{5}m R^{2}\frac{v}{R}[/tex]

[tex]v = \frac{5}{7}v_{0}[/tex]

By the way, what is Euler's II law? Is that what in other parts of the world is known as Newton's Second Law?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
By the way, what is Euler's II law? Is that what in other parts of the world is known as Newton's Second Law?

From wikipedia:
"Euler's second law states that the sum of the external moments about a point is equal to the rate of change of angular momentum about that point."

Common usage is Moment = I*alpha

I believe that Newtons II law is Eulers I law btw.

Related to Velocity of Ball When Just Starting to Roll in Relation to Collision Speed v0

What is ball velocity?

Ball velocity refers to the speed at which a ball is moving in a given direction. It is a measure of the rate of change of the ball's position with respect to time.

How is ball velocity calculated?

Ball velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as average velocity. Instantaneous velocity can also be calculated by finding the derivative of the position equation with respect to time.

What factors affect ball velocity?

The factors that affect ball velocity include the force applied to the ball, the weight and size of the ball, the surface it is rolling on, and the presence of any external forces like friction or air resistance.

How does ball velocity change once it starts rolling?

Once a ball starts rolling, its velocity will remain constant in the absence of any external forces. This is known as uniform motion. However, if there are external forces acting on the ball, its velocity may change.

What is the difference between linear and angular ball velocity?

Linear ball velocity refers to the speed of the ball as it moves in a straight line, while angular ball velocity refers to the speed at which the ball is rotating. These two velocities are related, as the linear velocity of a point on the edge of a rolling ball is equal to the product of its angular velocity and the distance from the center of rotation.

Back