Velocity of bungy jumper, very confusing?

In summary, the problem involves a bungee jumper with a mass of 78kg tied to a 39m cord jumping off a bridge from a height of 69m and falling to 6m above the ground before the cord brings them to a stop. The goal is to calculate the impulse exerted on the jumper by the cord as it stretches. The equations used are F*t = mvf - mvi, P = mv, Eg = mgh, Ep = 1/2 x k^2, and Ek = 1/2 m v^2. The key to solving the problem is to use the equation impulse = 0 - mvi, where vi refers to the velocity at the instant before falling.

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper with a mass of 78kg tied to a 39 m cord jumps off a bridge from a height of 69 m. She falls to 6 .0m above the ground before the chord brings her momentarily to rest. Calculate the impulse exerted on the jumper by the cord as it stretches

Homework Equations

Ft = mvf - mvi
P = mv
Eg = mgh
Ep = 1/2 x k^2
Ek = 1/2 m v ^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Impulse = 0 - mvi

To find vi:

Ek1 + Eg1 = Eg2 + Ep2

So here is where I'm stuck. The equation is impossible to solve because there are two unknowns (spring constant and velocity)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you need the spring constant for? Once you have the velocity, you can get the change in momentum as you have the mass.

rock.freak667 said:
Why would you need the spring constant for? Once you have the velocity, you can get the change in momentum as you have the mass.

I need the spring constant because some energy is converted into elastic potential energy.

Ek1 + Eg1 = Eg2 + Ep2

That is the equation I've made. LS = the instant before falling, RS = on stop

So it comes out to 0.5mv^2 = mgh = mgh + 0.5kx^2

In order to find the velocity I have to have k but its an unknown. Am I doing this right? Did I set it up correctly? I know there has to be some potential energy because the rope is only 39 m long and it stretches far beyond that point as the person falls around 69 m - 6m and the rope isn't that long

Actually you won't need the spring constant to find the impulse of the cord. You wrote

impulse = 0 - mvi.

This will be the key! Think about the meaning of vi. What point of the jump does this refer to?

Also, for the left side of the equation do you think that represents the impulse of the cord, the impulse of the force of gravity, or the total impulse of all of the forces acting on the jumper?

Oops, You might indeed need the spring constant. But you should be able to find it.

x86 said:
I need the spring constant because some energy is converted into elastic potential energy.

Ek1 + Eg1 = Eg2 + Ep2

That is the equation I've made. LS = the instant before falling, RS = on stop

What is the velocity at "the instant before falling"?

Related to Velocity of bungy jumper, very confusing?

1. What is the velocity of a bungy jumper at the bottom of their jump?

The velocity of a bungy jumper at the bottom of their jump depends on several factors such as the height of the jump, the weight of the jumper, and the elasticity of the bungy cord. Generally, the velocity will be highest at the start of the jump and decrease as the bungy cord stretches and slows down the jumper.

2. How is the velocity of a bungy jumper calculated?

The velocity of a bungy jumper can be calculated using the formula v=√(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the jump. However, this formula does not take into account the elasticity of the bungy cord, so it may not be completely accurate.

3. Does the velocity of a bungy jumper affect the safety of the jump?

Yes, the velocity of a bungy jumper can affect the safety of the jump. If the velocity is too high, it can put excessive strain on the bungy cord and increase the risk of injury. It is important for bungy jump operators to carefully calculate and monitor the velocity of each jump to ensure the safety of their customers.

4. Can the velocity of a bungy jumper be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a bungy jumper can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the length and elasticity of the bungy cord. A longer and more elastic cord will slow down the jumper more gradually, while a shorter and stiffer cord will result in a faster descent. However, external factors such as wind resistance and the weight of the jumper may also affect the velocity.

5. How does the velocity of a bungy jumper compare to other extreme sports?

The velocity of a bungy jumper can vary greatly depending on the height and other factors mentioned above. However, in general, bungy jumping has a lower average velocity compared to other extreme sports such as skydiving or base jumping. This is because the bungy cord acts as a braking mechanism, slowing down the descent of the jumper.