Velocity of radio waves question

In summary, the question is asking for the velocity of two different radio waves, one transmitting at a frequency of 100kHz and the other at 1.5MHz. For the first radio wave, the velocity is calculated by multiplying the frequency (100kHz) by the wavelength (2000m). However, the velocity for the second radio wave is not provided and it is unclear if it would be different from the first one.
max1995
Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
Hi guys I am struggling on this question and was wondering if anyone could steer me into the right direction with it

Q: Radio X transmits on wavelength 2000m at a frequency of 100kHz. Radio Y transmits at a frequency of 1.5MHz. Calculate the velocity of the radio waves.

So for radio X I used c=f*wavelength and got 2000*100000 = 2x10^8 ms-1 BUT I don't know how to calculate the velocity of radio wave Y, how do I do this?

thanks for any help you can give

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think radio wave Y is somehow traveling at a different velocity than radio wave X?

SteamKing said:
Do you think radio wave Y is somehow traveling at a different velocity than radio wave X?

Is that not possible for Y to travel at a different velocity to X then? I just assumed as it was asking for the velocitieS in the question that they were different

Thank you for the reply and help :)

FAQ: Velocity of radio waves question

What is the velocity of radio waves?

The velocity of radio waves is the speed at which they travel through a medium. In a vacuum, radio waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

How is the velocity of radio waves measured?

The velocity of radio waves can be measured using various methods, including time-of-flight measurements, Doppler shift measurements, and interferometry. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for a radio wave to travel a certain distance or observing changes in the frequency of the wave.

Does the velocity of radio waves change in different mediums?

Yes, the velocity of radio waves can change depending on the medium they are traveling through. In general, radio waves travel slower in a medium compared to a vacuum. The exact velocity depends on the properties of the medium, such as its density and refractive index.

What factors affect the velocity of radio waves?

The velocity of radio waves can be affected by several factors, including the medium they are traveling through, the frequency of the wave, and any obstacles or objects that may interfere with the wave. Additionally, the velocity can also be affected by environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

Why is the velocity of radio waves important in communication?

The velocity of radio waves is crucial in communication because it determines the speed at which signals can be transmitted. This velocity helps determine the range and strength of radio transmissions, which is essential for efficient and reliable communication systems.