Velocity Ratio and Lever Confirmation

In summary: Arrhi junkie_ball! :smile:your answer of 1/6 is obviously correctif you're allowed as many tries as you like, then i'd suggest trying 1/5 or -1/5 (but it's presumably the wrong diagram, so the answer could be anything :redface:)if you're not allowed more tries, then i'd suggest asking for an explanation of the "correct" answer, and saying that you don't understand itIn summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the velocity ratio of an attached lever. There is confusion
junkie_ball

Homework Statement

Calculate the velocity ratio of the attached lever.

Homework Equations

Velocity Ratio = Distance moved by effort * Distance moved by load

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I'm having some confusion over this question. I cannot figure out whether the 'Distance moved by the load should be 6 or 5? I am assuming it should be 1/5 as for every 1m the effort moves the load moves by 5.

Or should i be basing my answer taking the dimensions from the fulcrum in which case it will be 1/6?

Attachments

• Velocity Ration of the Lever.jpg
    Velocity Ration of the Lever.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 775
Physics news on Phys.org
hi junkie_ball! :smile:

hint: for a given small angle θ, how far does the load actually move? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

hint: for a given small angle θ, how far does the load actually move? :wink:

Tiny-tim thanks for the hint. I have been looking at this problem again today and i believed the answer originally should have been 1/6 as the effort is 1m away from the fulcrum and the load 6m away from the fulcrum. This came back marked as incorrect though.

This is why i considered the 1/5 although to me using the equation VR= Distance moved by effort * Distance moved by load I'm still inclined to say 1/6 as in my original diagram if the effort distance moved by 1 then the load distance would move by 6? I'm so confused by this which is maddening as the maths is so simple! :cry: Anymore pointers to help me understand where my error is will be greatly appreciated as it's the last question i need to resubmit to pass this unit!

junkie_ball said:
Tiny-tim thanks for the hint. I have been looking at this problem again today and i believed the answer originally should have been 1/6 as the effort is 1m away from the fulcrum and the load 6m away from the fulcrum. This came back marked as incorrect though.

your answer of 1/6 looks correct to me :confused:

velocity ratio = distance moved by effort / distance moved by load,

which from the diagram (i suppose you're definitely using the correct diagram?) is obviously 1/6

(the only alternative answer i can think of is 0.166)

tiny-tim said:
your answer of 1/6 looks correct to me :confused:

velocity ratio = distance moved by effort / distance moved by load,

which from the diagram (i suppose you're definitely using the correct diagram?) is obviously 1/6

(the only alternative answer i can think of is 0.166)

Sorry for the late reply i was waiting for my work to come back marked. Again i used the formula above and went with 1/6 or 0.166 as my answer and again its come back as incorrect. the diagram is definitely right (well what they have printed. This is ICS and have had quite a few errors in the text up to now.) I'm lost on this. You ask the tutor advice and they refer you to the page in the course materials which just gives the equation velocity ratio = distance moved by effort / distance moved by load which to me is 1/6. Arr

your answer of 1/6 is obviously correct

if you're allowed as many tries as you like, then i'd suggest trying 1/5 or -1/5 (but it's presumably the wrong diagram, so the answer could be anything :redface:)

Related to Velocity Ratio and Lever Confirmation

1. What is Velocity Ratio?

Velocity Ratio is the ratio of the distance covered by the effort arm to the distance covered by the load arm in a lever system. It is used to calculate the mechanical advantage of a lever and determine the efficiency of the system.

2. How is Velocity Ratio related to Lever Confirmation?

Velocity Ratio and Lever Confirmation are closely related, as Lever Confirmation is a measure of how well a lever system can amplify the input force. A higher Velocity Ratio indicates a higher Lever Confirmation, meaning the lever system is more efficient at amplifying the input force.

3. What factors affect Velocity Ratio?

The Velocity Ratio of a lever system is affected by the length of the effort arm and load arm, as well as the location of the fulcrum. The longer the effort arm and the shorter the load arm, the higher the Velocity Ratio will be. The location of the fulcrum also plays a role, as a closer fulcrum to the load will result in a higher Velocity Ratio.

4. How can Velocity Ratio be calculated?

Velocity Ratio can be calculated by dividing the length of the effort arm by the length of the load arm. For example, if the effort arm is 10 cm and the load arm is 5 cm, the Velocity Ratio would be 2:1.

5. What is the significance of Velocity Ratio in practical applications?

Velocity Ratio is an important concept in engineering and design, as it helps determine the optimal design and placement of levers in machines and systems. It also allows for the calculation of the amount of force needed to lift a certain load, making it useful in various industries such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation.