Velocity related to force of friction

In summary: I MESSED UP. EK = Ep and you could find Velocity through that Equation... Sorry. the final Equation should be:mgh = mgd0.75
UrbanXrisis
A 5kg object slides 100m down a frictionless inclined plane dropping 45m. It then slides along a horrizontal surface with a coefficiet of kinetic friction of .75 intil it stops. How long does it take to stop after it leaves the inclined plane?

I'm not sure how to get the time. Here's what I found:

mgh=.5mv^2
10m/s/s*45m=.5 v^2
v=30 m/s

So the object is going 30m/s when it hits the friction floor. I'm not sure what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

This is a conservation of Energy question.

The most important thing to do is to set up the question right.

We now that the Ek = Ethermal (Ethermal is the energy lost to the fristional force)

Ek= squrt(2gh) becuase the Ek will be resulting from the drop on the inclined plane and the 45m drop.

Ethermal= mgd0.75

squrt(2gh)=mgd0.75
Solve for distance then if you the velocity just use V=d/t to find the time!

To determine the kinetic energy of the object as it leaves the inclined plane, use conservation of energy.

Now you have the kinetic energy given by [itex]E_k = \frac{1}{2}mu^2[/itex]. Get the value of [itex]u[/itex] and then plug it into [itex]v = u + at[/itex] where [itex]v = 0[/itex] and [itex]a = - \frac{F_{fr}}{m} = - \mu g[/itex] and solve for [itex]t[/itex].

EDIT : I misread the question, they asked for "how long" (time) not distance. :blushing:

Last edited:
I'm sorry,but your last equation doesn't make any sense.You equate velocity to work done by friction force...:wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I'm sorry,but your last equation doesn't make any sense.You equate velocity to work done by friction force...:wink:

Daniel.

You're talking about my post or derek's ?

You hadn't written your reply,by the time i got into writing mine,so that's why i didn't quote the mistake.There it is:
derekmohammed said:
squrt(2gh)=mgd0.75

Daniel.

Opps. :smile:

I just finished a two hour lecture on aristotle :zzz: when I wrote this post.

I see what I did I am :rolleyes: sooooo sorry. What I really meant was that EK = Ep and that you could find Velocity through that Equation... Sorry. the final Equation should be:

mgh = mgd0.75

Where h is the total distance the box falls!

SORRY

Last edited:

FAQ: Velocity related to force of friction

1. What is the relationship between velocity and force of friction?

The force of friction is directly proportional to the velocity of an object. This means that as the velocity increases, the force of friction also increases.

2. How does the force of friction affect the velocity of an object?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it can slow down the velocity of the object. The higher the force of friction, the more it will decrease the object's velocity.

3. What factors can affect the force of friction?

The force of friction can be influenced by the type of surface the object is moving on, the weight of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How can the force of friction be calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object.

5. Can the force of friction ever be greater than the velocity of an object?

No, the force of friction can never be greater than the velocity of an object. This is because the force of friction is directly proportional to the velocity, so it cannot exceed it.

Back