Velocity-Time Graph: Dog's Position

In summary, the conversation is about determining the velocity of a dog in three segments based on its position in a graph and sketching a corresponding Velocity-Time Graph. The velocities obtained were 2 m/s, 0 m/s, and -2.42 m/s for segments A, B, and C respectively. The individual asks for clarification on how to make the graph and it is suggested to use the x and y values from the graph. It is also mentioned that the dog does go back to y=0 and the point x=26.6666, y=5 is easier to read.
aatari
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi Guys,

I have attempted the question below and would greatly appreciate if I can get some feedback.

A dog's position is recorded in the graph below. Determine the velocity of the dog in all three segments. Sketch the corresponding Velocity-Time Graph. Please See the attached image.

Here are the velocities that I got:

A = 2 m/s
B = 0 m/s
C = -2.42 m/s

Now for the graph that I will make for velocity-time. Do I just use 10, 20, and 28.25 as x-values and then 2, 0, and -2.42 as y-values?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 675
Physics news on Phys.org
For c, it looks like he moves 15 meters in 6.667 seconds. Edit: -> It looks like it intersects exactly where those two gridlines meet.

TomHart said:
For c, it looks like he moves 15 meters in 6.667 seconds. Edit: -> It looks like it intersects exactly where those two gridlines meet.
So you are saying the dog doesn't go all the to 0? So if that's the case is the velocity then 2.27 m/s?

aatari said:
Hi Guys,

I have attempted the question below and would greatly appreciate if I can get some feedback.

A dog's position is recorded in the graph below. Determine the velocity of the dog in all three segments. Sketch the corresponding Velocity-Time Graph. Please See the attached image.

A = 2 m/s
B = 0 m/s
C = -2.42 m/s

Now for the graph that I will make for velocity-time. Do I just use 10, 20, and 28.25 as x-values and then 2, 0, and -2.42 as y-values?

upload_2017-2-20_6-12-16.png

aatari said:
Hi Guys,

A = 2 m/s
B = 0 m/s
C = -2.42 m/s

The y values are 20 m, 20 m and 0 m, but it is more accurate to read Δx and Δy from the blue triangle.
upload_2017-2-20_6-12-16.png

The dog definitely goes to back to y = 0. I am just saying that the point x=26.6666, y = 5 is a lot easier to read than the point at y=0.

Ok that is interesting. Thank you guys!

Likes TomHart
How did you get this number?
C = -2.42 m/s

Related to Velocity-Time Graph: Dog's Position

What is a Velocity-Time Graph?

A Velocity-Time Graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over a period of time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over time and can provide information about an object's motion.

How do you read a Velocity-Time Graph?

To read a Velocity-Time Graph, you look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower velocity. The direction of the slope also indicates the direction of the object's motion.

What does the x-axis and y-axis represent on a Velocity-Time Graph?

The x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents velocity. The values on the x-axis show the time intervals, while the values on the y-axis show the velocity at each time interval.

What does a horizontal line on a Velocity-Time Graph indicate?

A horizontal line on a Velocity-Time Graph indicates that the object's velocity is constant and not changing over time. This means that the object is moving at a constant speed.

How can a Velocity-Time Graph be used to determine a dog's position?

A Velocity-Time Graph can be used to determine a dog's position by calculating the area under the curve. The area under the curve represents the distance traveled by the dog. This can be done by dividing the area into smaller shapes and using basic geometry to find the area of each shape. The sum of all the areas will give the total distance traveled by the dog.