Velocity x' as a function of x, subject to a force function

In summary, the problem asks for the velocity x' as a function of displacement x for a particle of mass m, starting from rest at x=0 and subject to a force function of F0+cx. Using the equation F=ma, the attempt at a solution involves rearranging the equation and integrating both sides to find the change in kinetic energy and solve for the velocity at any given position x.
danmel413

Homework Statement

Find the velocity x' as a function of the displacement x for a particle of mass m, which starts from rest at x =0, subject to the following force function:
F0 + cx

Homework Equations

Fx = m d2x/dt2

ax=Fx/m=x''=v dv/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure I'm doing this wrong, perhaps not, but the question confused me. Right now I've rearranged the equation so it looks like

x''dx=vdv

and when I integrate both sides it becomes:

v2/2 = F0x+cx2/2

And then I multiply the right side by two and square root? It seems wrong to me. Any help would be much obliged.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the easy way to do it is this. Notice that the fact the force depends on position means you can calculate the work done between one position and another. That means you can work out the change in kinetic energy from one location to another. Which means you can work out the speed from one location to another.

So what is it that you seem to have done here? You have F = m a. But what you really want is work equals force times distance, or in integral form, ##\frac{1}{2} m v^2(x) = W(x) = \int_0^x F(s) ds##.

And, happily, that looks exactly like what you get at the end. But now you can see why it is that. (I hope.)

Likes danmel413

FAQ: Velocity x' as a function of x, subject to a force function

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity as a function of x?

The formula for calculating velocity as a function of x, subject to a force function, is v(x) = ∫F(x)/m dx, where F(x) is the force function and m is the mass of the object.

2. How does the force function affect the velocity as a function of x?

The force function directly affects the velocity as a function of x. The greater the force, the greater the change in velocity over a given distance. This is represented by the integral of the force function in the formula v(x) = ∫F(x)/m dx.

3. Can the velocity as a function of x ever be negative?

Yes, the velocity as a function of x can be negative. This occurs when the force function and mass of the object result in a negative value for the integral in the formula v(x) = ∫F(x)/m dx.

4. How does the mass of the object impact the velocity as a function of x?

The mass of the object has an inverse relationship with the velocity as a function of x. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the velocity as a function of x decreases, and vice versa. This is shown in the formula v(x) = ∫F(x)/m dx, where m is the mass of the object.

5. How is the velocity as a function of x graphed?

The velocity as a function of x can be graphed as a curve or a series of connected points on a Cartesian plane, with x as the independent variable and v(x) as the dependent variable. The shape of the graph will depend on the specific force function and mass of the object in question.