Venting air and guarding against splashing

• Thread starter Colby Lippincott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem with releasing air from a tank of isopropyl alcohol without letting the alcohol splash out. The current solution of using 1/2" NPT mufflers was not effective and the group discussed the possibility of using a larger-holed muffler or a different valve. One suggestion was to use a dorade box, but it was discovered that it does not work for compressed air. Another solution offered was to add a pump to the scupper, and a Google search for "air water separator" returned many results. A specific suggestion was made to use a compressed air and gas filtration water separator from Xebec Inc.
Colby Lippincott
Hello everyone,
I am working on a project for work, and I have a small problem I'm sure someone could find a solution to. I have a tank of isopropyl alcohol that I am pumping air into. The air bubbles up to the top of the tank and creates lots of agitation in the alcohol, which splashes around at the top. The air must then be released without letting the alcohol out. Right now I have two 1/2" NPT mufflers on the top to let the air out, which does let some air out but not enough to fully release the pressure in the tank. I was wondering if there is something similar to a muffler, but with much larger holes to allow air to pass through easier. Or some other valve that could allow air to pass through without letting the alcohol splash out.
Thanks!
Colby

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need a variation of an ancient marine invention, the dorade box.

dorade-box.jpg

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Ok I tried the dorade box out, and unfortunately it doesn't work for compressed air. The air just pushes the alcohol out anyways. Does anyone else have ideas?

You may need to add a pump to the scupper. Liquid blown out into the box needs to be pumped back into the tank.

Other than that, a google search for "air water separator" returns 1.45 million hits.

Good luck.

Edit: here's one for use with compressed air. It is a variation on the dorade box.
http://www.xebecinc.com/compressed-air-and-gas-filtration-water-separator.php

Related to Venting air and guarding against splashing

1. How does venting air help prevent splashing?

Venting air helps prevent splashing by equalizing the pressure inside and outside of a container. When a container is filled with liquid and sealed, the air inside is compressed and can cause splashing when the container is opened. By venting the air, the pressure is equalized, reducing the force of the liquid when the container is opened.

2. Can venting air also help to prevent spills?

Yes, venting air can also help prevent spills. When the pressure inside a container is equalized, it reduces the force of the liquid when the container is opened, making it less likely for the liquid to spill out.

3. What is the best way to vent air from a container?

The best way to vent air from a container is by opening the container slightly to allow the air to escape slowly. This can be done by loosening the lid or cap of the container, or using a venting tool specifically designed for this purpose.

4. Are there any risks associated with venting air from a container?

Yes, there are some risks associated with venting air from a container. If the container is under high pressure, the liquid may still splash or spill out even with venting. Additionally, some liquids may release harmful fumes or gases when vented, so it is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines.

5. Is there a specific method for guarding against splashing when opening a container?

Yes, there are several methods for guarding against splashing when opening a container. In addition to venting air, you can also tilt the container slightly away from you when opening, use a funnel or pour spout, or slowly and carefully open the container to release pressure before fully opening it.