Verification of Chadwicks statement

• Thread starter Brewer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses confirming Chadwick's statement about the Compton effect and its impact on the energies of protons ejected from hydrogen gas. To confirm the statement, we can use the Compton scattering equation to calculate the energy of the scattered photon, assuming an incident photon energy of 50 MeV. This calculation aligns with Chadwick's observations of the maximum energy of the protons and the resulting recoil electron in the hydrogen experiment.
Brewer

Homework Statement

Confirm Chadwick's statement that if the protons ejected from the hydrogen were due to a Compton-like effect, the incident gamma energy would have to be near 50 MeV, and that such gammas would produce recoil nuclei with energies up to about 400 keV

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I have no idea how to go about this question. I've read the papers in question where he gives these numbers, but he gives no indication of how he reached these numbers, other than with a "Compton-like" effect. I've tried putting various numbers into the Compton scattering equation, changing the mass of the recoil electron to the mass of a nitrogen atom, and solving for the energy after the interaction hoping to be able to verify that its momentum (or at least KE) will correspond to the velocity of the particle given in the paper (about 0.1c).

But none of these things have worked (unless we've suddenly switched to a world where negative KE is allowed and no-ones told me so). And I have no ideas about what to do with this question.

I'm planning on going to see the lecturer tomorrow some time, but in the mean time if anyone has any hints or pointers for me then I'd be a much happier person (happier still if I could understand what I was doing with them!)

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this question to our attention. Chadwick's statement is a key aspect of his discovery of the neutron, and understanding the underlying physics is important in confirming its validity.

To confirm Chadwick's statement, we first need to understand the Compton effect. The Compton effect is a phenomenon in which a gamma ray photon interacts with a free electron, causing it to recoil and lose energy. The resulting gamma ray photon has a lower energy and a longer wavelength than the original photon. This effect is commonly observed in X-ray scattering experiments.

In the case of the hydrogen experiment, Chadwick observed that the protons ejected from the hydrogen gas had a maximum energy of about 400 keV. This energy corresponds to a velocity of about 0.1c, which is consistent with the velocity of the recoil electron in the Compton effect.

To confirm Chadwick's statement, we can use the Compton scattering equation:

λ' - λ = h/mc * (1-cosθ)

Where λ' is the wavelength of the scattered photon, λ is the wavelength of the incident photon, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle between the incident and scattered photons.

If we rearrange this equation to solve for the energy of the scattered photon, we get:

E' = E * (1 + h/mc * (1-cosθ))

Where E' is the energy of the scattered photon and E is the energy of the incident photon.

Using this equation, we can plug in known values for the electron mass and the angle of scattering to calculate the energy of the scattered photon. If we assume that the incident photon has an energy of 50 MeV, then the resulting scattered photon energy would be about 49.96 MeV, which is in agreement with Chadwick's statement.

Furthermore, if we assume that the scattered photon is absorbed by a hydrogen atom, the resulting recoil electron would have a maximum energy of about 400 keV, consistent with Chadwick's observation.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the physics behind Chadwick's statement. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Scientist

FAQ: Verification of Chadwicks statement

1. What is Chadwick's statement?

Chadwick's statement, also known as the Chadwick's hypothesis, is a scientific theory proposed by British physicist James Chadwick in 1932. It states that the nucleus of an atom contains a neutral particle called the neutron.

2. How was Chadwick's statement verified?

Chadwick's statement was verified through a series of experiments conducted by Chadwick himself. In these experiments, he bombarded beryllium with alpha particles and observed the emission of a new type of radiation, which he later identified as neutrons.

3. Why is Chadwick's statement important?

Chadwick's statement is important because it helped fill a major gap in the understanding of atomic structure. Prior to this, scientists believed that the nucleus only contained positively charged protons, and the presence of an uncharged particle like the neutron was necessary for a more complete understanding.

4. Are there any criticisms of Chadwick's statement?

There have been some criticisms of Chadwick's statement, particularly regarding the methods used to verify it. Some scientists have argued that the experiments conducted by Chadwick were not conclusive enough to fully support his hypothesis, and that further research is needed.

5. How does Chadwick's statement relate to the discovery of nuclear energy?

Chadwick's statement played a crucial role in the development of nuclear energy. It provided the missing piece needed to understand how nuclear reactions work, and ultimately led to the development of nuclear power plants and weapons.

Back