Verification of Divergence Theorem

In summary, the problem involves finding the flux integral of a vector field F in a given volume. The volume is defined by two points and the equation for the flux integral is given. The attempt at a solution shows the process of setting up the integral, but the methods used are unclear. The conversation then discusses using a different method involving finding the normal for each piece and doing surface integrals for each side. The final suggestion is to use the identity for finding the flux integral.
sunnyday11

Homework Statement

F(x,y,z) = (2x-z) i + x2y j + xz2 k and the volume is defined by [0,0,0] and [1,1,1].

Homework Equations

flux integral = [tex]\int\int\int[/tex] div F dV

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int\int\int[/tex] div F dV = [tex]\int\int\int[/tex] (2+x2-2xz)dxdydz

= 2 + 1/3 - 1/2 = 11/12

But I have no idea how to calculate the flux integral because the methods I learned was to use z=f(x,y) with the unit normal vector.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
But I have no idea how to calculate the flux integral because the methods I learned was to use z=f(x,y) with the unit normal vector.

Thank you very much!

Thats sort of what you have to do, you have to divide your volume into pieces, find a normal for each piece (I assume here that this is a cube with one corner in (0,0,0) and one in (1,1,1)) and do the surface integral for each side (so 6 integrals in the whole).

But use the identity [tex]\oint_S = F \bullet d\textbf{s}[/tex]

Related to Verification of Divergence Theorem

What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical concept that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the enclosed volume. It states that the total outward flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume.

What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a fundamental concept in vector calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics and engineering, such as calculating fluid flow through a closed surface or determining the net electric charge within a closed region.

How is the Divergence Theorem verified?

The Divergence Theorem can be verified by performing a surface integral over a closed surface and comparing it to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume. If the two integrals are equal, then the Divergence Theorem is satisfied.

What are the conditions for the Divergence Theorem to hold?

In order for the Divergence Theorem to hold, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume, and the surface must be closed, smooth, and oriented consistently with the direction of the vector field.

What are some practical applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications, such as calculating fluid flow in pipes, determining the net electric charge within a capacitor, and understanding the behavior of magnetic fields around a closed loop of wire.