Verify Eigenstates: Solving s_i & m_i Equations

• Thread starter Philip Land
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenstates
In summary, the equation given to calculate the eigenvalues is straightforward, but it requires knowledge of the values for ##s_i## and ##m_i##. For spin-1/2 particles, these values are 1/2 and +1/2 or -1/2, respectively, depending on the state.
Philip Land
Homework Statement
verify that ##|s=1,m_s=0> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(| \uparrow \downarrow> + |\downarrow \uparrow >## is an eigenstate of ##\hat{S^2}##
Relevant Equations
(Drop hats) $$S^2 = S_1^2 + S_2^2 + 2S_{1z}S_{2z} + S_{1+}S_{2-}+S_{1-}S_{2+}$$
I simply use the equation above, and the eigenvalus whish yield:
##\hbar^2 [ s_1(s_1+1) + s_2(s_2+1) + m_1m_2 + \sqrt{s_1(s_1+1) - m_1(m_1+1)}\sqrt{s_2(s_2+1) - m_2(m_2-1)} + \sqrt{s_2(s_2+1) - m_2(m_2+1)}\sqrt{s_1(s_1+1) - m_1(m_1-1)}##

Very straight forward. My issue is that I don't know what ##s_i## and ##m_i## for i=1,2 is? I only have "s" and "m" from the definition in the question.

I recently had the same problem in an exercise but with angular momentum. Please bring me some clarity on this, thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Single-particle states ##|\uparrow\rangle## and ##|\downarrow\rangle## are a basis for spin-1/2 particles, therefore ##s_1 = s_2 = 1/2## and, by convention, ##|\uparrow\rangle## corresponds to ##m= +1/2## and, conversely, ##|\downarrow\rangle## to ##m= -1/2##.

DrClaude said:
Single-particle states ##|\uparrow\rangle## and ##|\downarrow\rangle## are a basis for spin-1/2 particles, therefore ##s_1 = s_2 = 1/2## and, by convention, ##|\uparrow\rangle## corresponds to ##m= +1/2## and, conversely, ##|\downarrow\rangle## to ##m= -1/2##.
I see, thanks for clearing this up!

Related to Verify Eigenstates: Solving s_i & m_i Equations

What is the purpose of verifying eigenstates?

The purpose of verifying eigenstates is to ensure that the solutions obtained for the s_i and m_i equations accurately represent the quantum mechanical properties of a system. This is important in order to make accurate predictions and calculations in quantum mechanics.

What are s_i and m_i equations?

s_i and m_i equations are mathematical equations used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin and magnetic moments of particles. The s_i equation determines the spin quantum number and the m_i equation determines the magnetic quantum number of a particle.

How do you solve for s_i and m_i equations?

To solve for s_i and m_i equations, one must use mathematical techniques such as linear algebra and calculus. These equations can be solved analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the system.

What is the significance of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates, also known as eigenvectors, are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the stable, stationary states of a system. These states have well-defined energy levels and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles.

What is the difference between eigenstates and non-eigenstates?

The main difference between eigenstates and non-eigenstates is that eigenstates have well-defined energy levels, while non-eigenstates do not. In other words, eigenstates are stable and stationary, while non-eigenstates are constantly changing and do not have a specific energy value.